Sigma Delta Pi
SIGMA DELTA PI is not only the largest foreign language honor society in existence, it is also one of the best, attested by its membership in the Association of College Honor Societies, an accrediting body with rigorous academic standards.
The purpose of this organization as outlined in its National Constitution is as follows:
- To honor those who seek and attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of Spanish-speaking peoples
- To honor those who strive to make the Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known to English-speaking peoples
- To encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between the nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech
The MU EPSILON chapter of SIGMA DELTA PI is preparing for the annual induction of new members. If you meet the requirements outlined below, you are cordially invited to apply for membership. The initiation will be held in April. Once all applications are processed you will be notified regarding your status.
- Have at least a GPA of 3.3 in all university courses in Spanish
- Have a university cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Be enrolled in a degree program leading to a degree in Spanish (BA, Spanish Minor, MA or MAT).
- Have completed 18 semester hours in Spanish at the 200 level or higher including at least one literature or culture course. You may count those courses in which you are currently enrolled as part of the 18-hour requirement.
- Pay a one-time national membership fee and chapter dues of 40.00.
Applicants will be notified of their status via email. Induction ceremony will be held at UofL.