Etscorn International Summer Research Award
The Irvin F. and Alice S. Etscorn International Summer Research Award is an exciting opportunity for undergraduates to study and conduct research overseas this coming summer. These awards are open to students from all disciplines. To be eligible to receive the funding, students must be able to demonstrate plans for continued enrollment at the University of Louisville for the following fall semester.
Students are responsible for creating their own proposed summer plan. Past recipients have conducted independent research, taken specialized courses in their field, completed professional internships, or undertaken intensive study at overseas language institutes.
Awards will be offered in increments from $2,500 to $5,000 depending upon the cost of the program and the student’s level of funding from other sources. Applicants need to propose both a preferred and alternate program and must include budgets for both. The exception to this will be if the student has already been accepted into the preferred program, in which case they need only describe that program and include its budget.
Selected Student Profile
- Proposed program is intense and academically rigorous and at least three weeks long.
- Intent to apply for prestigious national scholarships (ex: Goldwater, Fulbright, Marshall, Mitchell, Boren, NSF), with this summer program as a significant step toward future goals.
- Chosen course of study is something beyond what is available at the University of Louisville.
- Cost of program is reasonable relative to the length of the program.
- Ability to receive course credit from the University of Louisville for proposed activity.
- A GPA of 3.6 or above is typical of finalists.
- All undergraduate applicants for 2014-2015 nationally competitive academic scholarships are encouraged to apply.
Interested students should contact Dr. Bethany Smith at 502.852.1515 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment or to receive more information.