Honors Living Learning Communities
The Honors LLCs are designed to create purposeful links among academic, residential, and social components of the university experience. Members of the LLCs usually live together in the same residence hall and participate in group co-curricular activities. This shared academic involvement provides the foundation for the student’s LLC experience. Living in the Honors LLCs provides a number of unique academic and social benefits including academic advising, tutoring, on-site classes, and special opportunities for faculty, staff, and student interactions. Some Honors LLCs include themed classes in a specific cluster, allowing students to take two or more courses with the same group of peers.
Who can apply?
- All entering Honors students for Fall 2023 may apply for either the Honors First Year LLC or the Honors Louisville Parks Experience LLC.
What are the member benefits?
- Broad academic and social collaborations facilitate coursework and the transition to university study.
- Strengthen relationships with faculty members and peers.
- Individualized planning sessions with an Honors academic advisor.
- Co-curricular and extracurricular programming.
- Guaranteed living space in the Honors residence hall.
- High level of academic engagement through Honors courses.
- Additional academic assistance and services for LLC members.
- Numerous opportunities to connect with faculty and staff.
Honors First Year LLC:
Entering Honors students who wish to live in Kurz Hall can choose to participate in the Honors First-Year LLC. This LLC does not require students to enroll in a specific set of linked courses. Students are able to choose which Honors courses they prefer to take and should plan to enroll in at least one Honors course during the 2023 - 2024 academic year. These courses will be selected in conjunction with an Honors advisor summer orientation. In addition, students in the Honors First-Year LLC have the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular programming throughout the year focused on community building and academic success. If you have any questions about this LLC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honors Louisville Parks Experience LLC
Students who choose to live in Kurz Hall may also apply to participate in the Honors Louisville Parks Experience LLC. For this LLC, the city of Louisville’s Olmsted Park system will be our primary source. The LLC is designed to introduce students to Louisville’s rich environmental and sociocultural landscape through robust partnership with the Olmsted Park Conservancy, University of Louisville Honors Program, and the University of Louisville Department of Geographic and Environmental Sciences staff. All entering Honors students are encouraged to consider the LLC, but especially those who may be coming from out-of-state or other parts of the commonwealth. Classroom sessions, programming, and service activities with strengthen connections to the local community’s green space resources through a variety of offerings. The course will integrate activities (from paddling waterways and hiking trails) with academic inquiry topics (from sociopolitical history to natural resource management). This unique lens on our city’s parks and recreation assets foster connection beyond the classroom through community, campus partners, local businesses, and organizations. Students will enroll in up to 9 credits of Honors courses and general education Cardinal Core requirements. Participants will live on the same floor, take classes together, and participate in programming designed specifically for this LLC, including academic, social, outdoor activities, and community engagement.
Note: Students from all majors and undecided are encouraged to apply for this LLC. Space is limited to 25 seats total. If you have specific questions about this Nested LLC, please contact Luke Buckman.
- HON 101 – Honors First Year Experience (1 hour)
- HON 202 – Windows on the World (1 hour)
- Honors Cardinal Core general education requirements (3-6 hours)
- HON 202 – Windows on the World (1 hour)
- Honors Cardinal Core general education courses (3 hours)
The Honors First-Year LLC and Louisville Parks Experience LLCs are housed in Kurz Hall.
For any additional questions related to Honors LLCs, please contact Luke Buckman at email@example.com.