Transfer Student Admission Requirements
Lower Division Admission in good standing
Transfer applicants with 24 hours or more must have a college grade point average of 2.8 or higher to be admitted in good standing to the lower division.
Lower Division Admission in conditional standing
There is no conditional admission for transfer students.
Lower Division: Intra-University Transfer (IUT) students
Students who have completed at least one semester in another school of the university and have a cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or above for all college coursework may apply for an intra-university transfer to the lower division program in Dental Hygiene. They must complete an online IUT application.
Students admitted through this process must be advised before registering for courses in their first semester in the dental hygiene lower division pre-professional curriculum.
See the University of Louisville catalog for general admission policies. Applicants may obtain additional specific information regarding admission to the upper division professional component of the bachelor of science Dental Hygiene degree program.
Upper Division Transfer Admissions
The University of Louisville School of Dentistry considers Upper Division Dental Hygiene transfer students on a case-by-case basis. Only individuals who are in good standing at their present dental school (or were in good standing when they left) are considered as a transfer student. Transfer application to the University of Louisville is a multi-step process. Transfer students must contact the Dental Hygiene Admissions Counselor in the Office of Student Affairs (502-852-5081) to request a transfer application form. The following credentials will be required:
1. Competed University of Louisville Upper Division Dental Hygiene Transfer Application form.
2. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
3. Official description of the courses completed in the curriculum of their current dental school.
4. Personal Statement (500 words or less) stating why you wish to transfer to the ULSD DH program.
5. Letter from the Dean (or designate) of the current dental hygiene school that verifies that the student is in good standing, the student’s GPA and Class Rank (on a yearly basis, if possible), and whether the student has ever been on academic or disciplinary probation.
6. Three letters of recommendation (two from science professors and one from a community member
If the Admissions Committee chooses to pursue the application, an on-site interview will be scheduled with the applicant. Individuals accepted into the program must meet with the Dental Hygiene Program Director to determine placement into the curriculum. Applicants may seek transfer into any year of the DH program, but are advised that transfer often results in the repeat of a year. Because of the difference in curricula transfer process it is very difficult and does not occur often.