Cardinal Card Online Photo Submission
Every student is required to have a Cardinal Card. This card confirms that you are a University of Louisville student and indicates you are entitled to the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of a student. The Cardinal Card functions as your ID card, meal card, and library card, among many other uses.
The online photo submission process is only open for students or employees receiving their very first card. Our Cardinal Cards do not expire, if you have previously received a Cardinal Card from the University it is still valid. To receive a replacement Cardinal Card there is a $15 fee.
Your photo must conform to the following specifications:
- The photo must be a recent, forward-facing, passport-style photo in color.
- Face must be clearly visible and facing forward - no profile shots.
- Background must be solid white or off-white background with no other objects showing. No textures such as doors or bricks are allowed. Please no edited backgrounds
- No sunglasses, hats, baseball-style caps, or novelty headgear in your photo.
- Headpieces worn for religious purposes are acceptable.
- Blurry or out-of-focus photos are not acceptable.
- The cardholder must be the only person in the picture.
- No copyrighted photos.
- No glamour shots, senior photos, or professional photos.
- Create an acceptable digital photo using the specifications above. Photos are subject to approval by the Cardinal Card Office
- Upload both your photo and a jpg (jpeg) image of your state issued identification, include photo, name and birth date.
- Select your appropriate status type:
- Faculty/Staff - Faculty or Staff that are employed by the University.
- Housestaff - Residents or Fellows that are employed by the University.
- Student - Students that are currently enrolled in classes at the University.
- Online Academic Program - Students that are enrolled in an online academic program at the University
- Freshman Orientation (select the session that you are enrolled in) - Incoming first year students that are enrolled in the Summer 2023 orientation sessions. NOTE: When completing the Cardinal Card Agreement webform, please select "Other" and scroll to "Freshman Orientation".
4. Please complete the Cardinal Card Agreement webform. Please submit your webform at the same time that you submit your online photo. CCA webforms that are submitted without an online photo submission will be deleted and will need to be resubmitted. Submitted online photos will be rejected if not accompanied with the CCA webform.
When can you receive your Cardinal Card?
- Fall Semester: We start issuing student cards on the first business day in August for students enrolled in classes for Fall.
- Spring Semester: We start issuing student cards on the first business day after Fall commencement for students who are enrolled in classes for Spring.
- Summer Semester: We start issuing student cards on the first business day in May for students who are enrolled in classes for Summer.
- Must be active on payroll at least one day prior to getting a Cardinal Card.
My photo is sideways. Is that okay?
- Yes, photos can be uploaded sideways. Our office will rotate your photo before adding it to our card database.
I am unable to upload my Cardinal Card photo and driver's license. What should I do?
- If you are having trouble or receiving an error message when uploading your cardinal card photo and/or driver's license, try reducing the file size. The maximum file size is 4mb and both your photo and driver's license must be in a jpg or jpeg format. If you are still having issues, you can visit our office in the Houchens Building LL05 to receive your Cardinal Card. Please do not email any photos or driver's licenses as we do not accept submissions via email.