Frequently Asked Questions
The official identification card for University of Louisville students, faculty, and staff.
- Identification Card
- Library Card
- Meal Plan Purchases
- Cardinal Cash Purchases
- Facilities/Door Access
- Access to Athletic Events, including student tickets
- Free TARC Service
- Employee Discounts
- There is a $15 replacement fee for all students and employees.
- There is a $20 replacement fee for all contract vendors.
Immediately report your card as lost/stolen. During regular business hours call the Cardinal Card Office at 502-852-7520 or report it lost/stolen via our website at any time.
Students must be registered in the current semester at least one day prior to getting a Cardinal Card.
New employees will receive a card in Human Resources during their orientation. Employees who do not attend orientation may visit the Cardinal Card Office to receive a card. Employees must be entered in the payroll system at least one day prior to getting a card.
- Student/Employee ID Number
- Photo ID (driver's license, passport)
- Complete the Cardinal Card Agreement webform
In order to reactivate your most recent Cardinal Card, you can reactivate your card online through our website or visit our office. Unfortunately, once you receive a replacement card, any old Cardinal Cards you may find cannot be reactivated.
All building access is provide through Police. Students that need building access will need to contact their department to have them complete the electronic access form. Employees will need to contact their supervisor or Unit Business Manager to have the electronic access form completed. All questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our office so we can take a look at your card to properly assess the situation.
I stopped attending UofL for a semester or more, but have returned and am currently registered for classes. Do I need a new Cardinal Card or will my old card still work?
Cardinal Cards do not expire. As long as you are using your most recent card and you have been enrolled in classes for at least one day, your card will be active. If you need to obtain a new card, there is a $15 replacement fee.
The ID card verification system will allow only one classification - either faculty/staff or student. You only need one Cardinal Card for the University. Whichever classification ranks higher determines the type of ID you will be issued. For example, if you are a full-time student and part-time faculty or staff, you will be issued a student ID.
There are several ways to add funds to your card:
- Visit the Cardinal Card Office to add funds using cash, VISA, MasterCard, or Discover.
- Online through our website using your ULink username and password using VISA, MasterCard, or Discover.
- (Cardinal Cash Only) At any Valuport located on campus using cash.
This process is only available to students attending freshman, transfer, or online orientation sessions that are listed on our website. You may submit your photo here: www.louisville.edu/selfie
All other students starting in the fall should report to the Cardinal Card Office beginning on the first business day in August.
No, Cardinal Cards contain internal components. Please handle with care. Damage to your card other than normal wear and tear (holes, pet damage, stickers, etc.) will result in a $15 replacement fee.
Account balances cannot be provided over the phone. The cardholder can check their balance in several ways:
- In-person at the Cardinal Card Office.
- Request a receipt with their balance any time they make a purchase.
- Online using your ULink email@example.com and password.
I am an affiliate worker (ex. visiting scholar or student). What do I need to order to obtain a Cardinal Card?
- Approval letter signed by a Dean or Vice President, or Chair for School of Medicine
- Student/Employee ID Number (if one has been assigned to them, i.e. former student/employee or sponsored account)
- Photo ID
- Completed Cardinal Card Agreement
You may visit the Other Groups section on the Get a Cardinal Card page for more information.
Yes, you can request a refund of your Cardinal Cash balance upon separation from the university but the balance must be greater than $20. Please review the Cardinal Cash Refund Policy on the Cardinal Cash page.
Are you currently enrolled at UofL?
No - Please purchase a Visitor card to print on campus.
Do you have funds available on your Cardinal Card?
No - You can add money at a Value port or online.
Are you trying to print a color document on a black and white printer?
Yes - Please see the Print and Mail website for a location of the nearest color printer so that you can release your print request at a color printer.