GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For additional information about education benefits offered by VA, the official VA web site: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."
The GI Bill is a Department of Veterans Affairs education entitlement earned by members of the Active Duty, Selected Reserve and National Guard Armed Forces and their families. The benefit is designed to help service members and eligible veterans, cover the costs associated with getting an education or training. The GI Bill has several programs and each is administrated differently, depending on a person's eligibility and duty status.
Our Office of Veteran and Military Student Services (OVMSS) is here to help you navigate your military education benefits, including applying for benefits. Please contact them directly:
VA Certifying Official/Benefits
(502 ) 852-0998
GI Bill® Application
Apply for your GI Bill® benefits using www.va.gov.
For ease of completing the application, have the following information available:
- Personal information, including Social Security number
- Bank routing and account numbers
- Physical Address: University of Pittsburgh, 4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- Dates of service, if applicable
- If you have your DD214, you can upload it as part of your application
GI Bill® Chapters
Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 1606
Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty - Chapter 30
Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance - Chapter 35
Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33 Dependents, Chapter 33
GI Bill® Processing
Each term, you must complete an enrollment certification request form in order for your GI Bill® education benefits to be processed. It is important to complete this form in a timely manner to ensure your benefits are not delayed. You must report to OVS all changes, including change in credits, course withdrawal, incomplete grades, and change of major and address.
Summer Full-Time Rates: Credit and Monthly Housing Allowance Questions (for official credit requirements, contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551)
W.A.V.E. verification for Chapter 1606 students
eBenefits site for managing all veteran benefits
Chapter 36 Education and Career Counseling
The University of Louisville is very proud of our $250 per credit hour rate for undergraduate, and most graduate programs, for active-duty service members, for Coast Guard Members and for qualifying members of the Reserve and National Guard.
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. The benefit is paid by the member’s service. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. TA can be utilized simultaneously with the Montgomery GI Bill and the Post 9/11 GI Bill. TA currently covers $250 per credit hour.
The Office of Veteran and Military Student Services (OVMSS) isn't just for veterans. They also serve dependents and spouses of service members in receiving military education benefits.
Instructions for dependents of veterans and active duty military using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® education benefit:
- The Post 9/11 GI Bill allows service members to transfer unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense determines whether or not benefits can be transferred. Click here for details.
- Eligible dependents include: spouse; one or more of the individual’s children; any combination of spouse or child; a family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits, at the time of transfer.
- Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) by completing VA Form 22-1990e, which can be accessed here at vets.gov.
- Dependents may not use the benefit until they have attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or reached 18 years of age.
- Approximately 6-8 weeks after applying for benefit transfer, eligible dependents will receive a Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. This Certificate is required by the University of Louisville to process your benefits.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs will pay the tuition and fees directly to the University of Louisville based on the veteran’s calculated percentage of eligibility.
Monthly Housing Allowance
The spouse of an active-duty member is not eligible to receive the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA). Students attending more than half-time will receive a monthly housing stipend based on their percentage of eligibility. Monthly housing stipends are paid by the VA one month following the earned benefit. (Ex: September housing benefit will be paid on October
eBenefits website for all veteran benefits: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage
Kentucky State Tuition Waivers
Kentucky state tuition waiver is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. It is administered by the Kentucky Department of Veteran Affairs (KDVA).
The waiver permits student to attend any two-year, four-year or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education. The state waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers.
Additional qualifying factors, the veteran must have:
- 100% service-connected disabled.
- Died on active duty.
- Died as a direct result of a service connected disability as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Totally disabled (non-service connected) with wartime service as deemed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Department of Defense.
- Is deceased and lived in KY at time of death and served during a wartime period
Kentucky National Guard (KYNG) Tuition Assistance
The deadlines for National Guard are October 1 (Spring semester) and April 1 (Fall semester).
- Tuition Assistance will NOT pay the additional amount charged for online courses.
- 100% paid at any state support university/college for enlisted soldiers.
- Does not include fees
Eligibility: Eligibility Requirements for KYNG
Application: Kentucky National Guard tuition assistance