Parking pains?! Take a load off yourself and the planet! Consider these more sustainable alternatives for getting to campus! discover all of your transportation options with UofL's Cardinal Directions trip-planning and carpool-matching service!
Free Public Transportation
The University of Louisville encourages students and staff to use public transportation, bike and walk to commute to campus. The university, as part of its larger agreement with TARC, provides TARC service free of charge to all students, staff and faculty showing a valid university identification card.
- Plan your trip on TARC
- TARC routes serving the University of Louisville (PDF)
- Check out the benefits of using public transportation
Bike to Campus
The University provides multiple bike rack locations. You can find all of them, as well as our Bike Fixit Stations and BikeShare locations our UofL Bike Parking Map. Bicyclists are encouraged to securely lock unattended bikes to a bike rack. Bikes should not be locked to anything other than provided racks as they may cause a safety issue.
All bicycles on University property must be registered. It's free and it helps you recover your bike in the event of theft or impoundment. To complete registration process, you'll need your bicycle's serial number which is stamped into the metal frame (usually under the crank axle bottom bracket - more tips for finding your serial number are available on UofLcycling.com). Register your bicycle with UofL here.
- Wear a properly sized and fitted helmet for every ride and always use lights at night.
- Conduct an ABC Quick Check before every ride.
- Obey traffic laws: ride on the right, slowest traffic farthest right.
- Ride predictably and keep visible at all times.
- At intersections, ride in the right most lane that goes in your direction of travel.
- Scan behind you and signal lane changes and turns.
- Be prepared for mechanical emergencies with tools and know-how.
- Control your bicycle by practicing bicycle handling skills.
- Drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry.
Get more tips about biking for transportation and learn what UofL bike commuters need to know!
Ride your bike to and from the bus stop and put your bike on the bus! All TARC buses are equipped with convenient bike racks. Click here for more information.
Set up Carpools or Vanpools
Use the Cardinal Directions trip-planning and carpool-matching service to search for or offer rides in carpools anywhere you need to go in the greater Louisville area! More information about carpooling to UofL here.
If you'd like to get in on a vanpool to UofL, there are two options:
- RideShare by Enterprise is a new service for forming smaller vanpools of just 4 or more people who commute 20+ miles to UofL.
- The program requires at least a 3 month commitment, but offers a wide variety of vehicle options, insurance, maintenance, weekend vehicle access, a guaranteed ride home program, roadside assistance & loaner vehicles.
- Find a vanpool already in existence or start your own at enterpriserideshare.com.
- Questions? Contact Sara Gooch (firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-479-4764).
- Ticket to Ride also organizes vanpools for larger groups of 7‐15 people that commute to and from work (at least 30 miles total each day) in a van provided and maintained by Ticket To Ride.
How big is your carbon footprint?
Pollution from cars is a major cause of global warming. Take a personal pollution inventory and see how you can help.
Even as a driver, you can help us reduce pollution and improve air quality by turning off your engine while waiting for someone, stuck in traffic, or stopped at a railroad crossing. In fact, it's our policy: UofL's No Idling Policy