What Makes Us Unique
The University of Louisville School of Nursing (ULSON) is an integral part of a state supported premier metropolitan university that is the 4th fastest growing research university in the nation. The School is a vital part of the Health Sciences Center which also includes Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, and Public Health. Situated in the heart of downtown Metro Louisville, KY (population 800,000+), the ULSON is adjacent to a level 1 trauma hospital, multiple other hospitals and outpatient centers, and easy access to rural settings, all which provide clinical education, practice, and research opportunities.
The ULSON has over 1,200 pre-nursing, upper division BSN, MSN, PhD, and DNP students in the undergraduate and graduate programs and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2014. Baccalaureate programs include a traditional pre-licensure program, and a RN-BSN on-line option. The second degree pre-licensure program provides an innovative curriculum that upon completion awards students both the Bachelor and Master of Science in Nursing. The DNP is focused on developing the advanced practice knowledge and skills to improve health outcomes of individuals or populations through direct care, management of care, administration of organizations, and implementation of health policy. The specialties available are Adult Gerontology Acute, Adult Gerontology Primary, Family, Neonatal and Psychiatric/Mental Health. The PhD has two tracks: a BSN to PhD, and a MSN to PhD that prepare nurse scientists; current students are from across the US and international countries including China, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, and Bahrain.
ULSON offers a rich environment for nursing science through the Office of Nursing Research, with the support of a highly experienced associate dean, full time biostatistician, full time research manager, and numerous graduate research assistants. Additional support is provided by the Health Sciences Office of Clinical Research and Support Services.
- Probationary faculty are supported in the development of an extramurally funded program of research in their interest area by both external and internal research mentors.
- Current interprofessional research of the faculty focuses on health services research, postpartum depression, oral health, smoking cessation, palliative care, caregivers health particularly for those with dementia, burn prevention, diabetes and chronic disease management, community participatory research with vulnerable populations,, exercise and obesity, and oncology, to name a few.
- Four of our faculty (51 FTE) are Fellows in the American Academy of Nursing.
Committed to addressing the needs of the community, the ULSON has nurse-led practice sites including:
- Caregivers Program for families experiencing Alzheimer’s disease
- Kentucky Racing Health Services Center serving the Churchill Downs racetrack workers.
- Faculty practice as APRNs in various specialties and settings including adult, women’s, neonatal, psychiatric, family, student health, and Dentistry.
The ULSON is seeking highly qualified candidates for full time tenure track faculty at the rank of Associate and Assistant Professor. Qualified applicants must hold an earned doctorate in nursing or a doctorate in a related field with a master’s degree in nursing. Successful candidates will be expected to hold an active program of externally funded research and have a teaching and service commitment. EEO/AA
To apply, contact http://louisville.edu/hr. Part-time faculty members are also needed for clinical teaching.