The WebCAPE exam
PLEASE NOTE: Starting January 1, 2015,students will have to pay a $10 fee to take the WebCAPE.
The WebCAPE foreign language placement test is a computer adaptive language test authored by Brigham Young University.
Read all instructions and information shown on this page.
- Log into the WebCAPE. Choose the University of Louisville and select French, German, Russian or Spanish
- Enter the requested user information and click the "continue" button to begin the Web CAPE placement test language that you have selected. It is important that you use your correct UofL student ID number when you fill out the information. You will receive a confirmation of the payment and testing instructions on your e-mail.
- Immediately after you complete the exam you will receive your score and placement course level.
Please note: You must enter your UofL student ID number. Your score cannot be processed if you do not include your student ID number when you register.
Before you begin, please keep in mind the following things:
- You DO NOT need to be an admitted student to take the test.
- The CAPE test will cover both familiar and unfamiliar material, because the goal is to find out what you do know and what you don't know. Don't let this discourage you. If you aren't sure, make your best guess and move on. The test is designed to give you a number of opportunities to answer questions at different levels of skill.
- Because this test is used for placement purposes, we recommend only taking the CAPE test once per language. If you take the exam a second time without permission your placement may be recorded incorrectly
- It may take up to 7 business days for your score to be uploaded into Peoplesoft. If you wish to register ahead of that, you may take a printed copy of your score result and the appropriate add/drop paperwork to the Registrar's office.
Click here to proceed to the test.