The call schedule is determined by a monthly "lottery" conducted by the Psychiatry Residents' Association. This system maximizes flexibility and each resident's ability to determine which days he or she takes call. A back-up call list is maintained by the residents in the event the assigned individual on-call is unable to cover due to a personal emergency.
The total number of calls decreases each year with residents taking no in-house call during their final year in the program. PGY-1 residents do not take psychiatry calls while they are completing off-service rotations. PGY-2 and PGY-3 Residents take psychiatry calls each month with the exception of when they are assigned to the Emergency Psychiatric Service (EPS) as a daytime rotation during the week and while on Night Float. PGY-2 residents are each assigned a 2 week block of Night Float during which they work from 8pm-8am Tuesday through Saturday night. During the shifts that a PGY-2 resident is assigned to Night Float, there will not be an additional PGY-2 or PGY-3 resident on call.
On-Call Residents are based at the Emergency Psychiatric Service (EPS) at University of Louisville Hospital. On- Call shifts for PGY-2 and PGY-3 residents occur from 8pm until 8am Monday through Friday and in 12 hour shifts (8 am-8 pm and 8 pm-8 am) on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. During the portion of the year when PGY-1 residents are on psychiatry services, they take short call from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 12 hour shifts with the upper level present on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. PGY-1 residents do not take call alone in EPS.
PGY-1 Call Responsibilities
- Assisting the PGY-2 and 3 residents with their duties in EPS, including evaluating and making dispositions (except for those patients on Mental Inquest Warrants), taking floor calls, and managing Holding Bed Unit patients.
PGY-2 and 3 Call Responsibilities
- Evaluating and making dispositions on patients referred to EPS.
- Evaluating all patients referred to EPS on Mental Inquest Warrants.
- Managing and making dispositions for patients admitted to the EPS Holding Bed Unit.
- Taking consultation calls from University of Louisville Hospital and VA Hospitals' psychiatric units.
PGY-3 Call Responsibilities
- As they transition toward the end of the PGY-3 years, residents begin to take at-home beeper call for after-hours, weekdays, and weekend backup for EPS and the consult services at the University and Norton Hospitals.
PGY-4 Call Responsibilities
- Resident take at-home beeper call for after-hours, weekdays, and weekend backup for EPS and the consult services at the University and Norton Hospitals.