The Dean is responsible for:
- Preparing and administering the budget of the School of Medicine;
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with students/trainees, faculty, staff and alumni;
- Fostering professionalism, diversity and a positive work/learning environment in the SOM;
- Ensuring the quality of trainees (medical students, graduate students, residents, fellows, and postdoctoral trainees) and consistency of trainees with the SOM mission, including diversity goals;
- Maintaining and enhancing undergraduate, graduate, graduate medical education, and continuing medical education, including providing coordinated oversight of the curriculum and curricular change;
- Overseeing the SOM research agenda including fostering of interdisciplinary programs, basic research, clinical research and translational research;
- Ensuring the clinical environment provides high quality patient care and is conducive to appropriate integration of the educational and research programs.