Dr. Bay-William's curriculum vitae [PDF]
For over a decade I have been living and working at University of Louisville. What attracted me to Louisville, beyond it being a great place to live, was the College’s commitment to schools and to partnerships. I have been able to work with students and teachers in many of our great Jefferson County Schools, and many of the surrounding counties, like Carroll County Schools and Oldham County Schools. In these settings, we work on how to better teach so that all students feel confident and competent about their mathematics. I have also worked in many other places – Kansas, Missouri, and Peru – and have traveled to many places inside and outside the United States to work with teachers of mathematics.
I am married and have two children, both in public schools (one in elementary and one in middle school). My hobbies include biking, camping, hiking, traveling, and watching all kinds of sports, in particular softball because my daughter loves this sport and plays for a traveling team. I also love British television and will binge watch when I can.
Professionally, I am a passionate mathematics educator. I believe that every child has the capacity to be mathematically proficient and we must design our schools and classrooms in ways that ensure that each student develops a strong mathematical identity. At the University of Louisville, I teach undergraduate and graduate courses related to mathematics teaching and chair the Department of Middle and Secondary Education. I have written many books (see my vita), all of which take different angles at trying to ensure mathematics teaching engages every student. And, I am involved in many organizations related to mathematics teaching – I am a member of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Board of Directors, a former president of the Association of Mathematics Teacher Education (AMTE), and active in TODOS: Mathematics for All.
- PhD Curriculum and Instruction/Mathematics Education, University of Missouri-Columbia
- MEd Secondary Education, University of Missouri-Columbia
- BA Mathematics (with Grade 7-12 certficiation), DePauw University – Greencastle, IN
- Elementary, Middle, and High School Mathematics
- Middle School Education
- Graduate Topics in Mathematics Education
- Mathematics teaching practice for English Language Learners (ELLs)
- Implementation of standards-based mathematics curriculum/innovations in mathematics education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Use of Literature in Teaching Mathematics
- Issue Editor, NCTM 74th Yearbook: Professional Collaborations in Mathematics Teaching and Learning: Seeking Success for All. 2008 – present. (Publication date: 2012).
- Member-at-Large, Board of Directors, 2010-2012
- St. Louis Program Committee Member, NCTM Regional Meeting, 2010-2011
- Editorial Panel, JMTE Special Issue: Equity in Mathematics Teacher Education (2012).
- President , Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) (President Elect, 2006-2007, President 2007-2009, Past-President 2009-2010)
- Chair, NCTM Emerging Issues Committee (2007 – 2009)
- Advisory Board, US-Teacher Education Development Study (TEDS) Project (2007-Present)
Honors & Awards
- Kentucky Council of Teachers of Mathematics (KCTM) Mathematics Education Service and Achievement (M.E.S.A.) Award, Louisville, KY (2008).
- Rock Bridge High School Hall of Fame Inductee. Rock Bridge High School, Columbia, MO (2004).
- Commerce Bank Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, College of Education, KSU (2003).
- Excellence in Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, College of Education, KSU (2002)
- Kappa Delta Pi Teacher of the Year Award; Manhattan, KS (2001).
- Appalachian Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AAMTE)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Kentucky Council of Teachers of Mathematics (KCTM)
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- TODOS: Mathematics for All
Selected Recent Publications
- Bay-Williams, J. M. (2013). Field Experience Guide for Elementary and Middle School Mathematics (4th edition). New York: Allyn and Bacon.
- Van de Walle, J., Karp, K. S., & Bay-Williams, J. M. (2013). Elementary and Middle School Mathematics Methods: Teaching Developmentally (8th edition). New York: Allyn and Bacon.
- Caldwell, J. H., Karp, K., & Bay-Williams, J. M. (2011). Developing Essential Understanding of Addition and Subtraction in Prekindergarten–Grade 2. Reston, VA: NCTM.
- Bay-Williams, J. M. & Martinie, S. L. (2009). Mathematics and Nonfiction: Grades 6-8. Sausalito, CA: Math Solutions Publications.
- Bay-Williams, J. M. & Martinie, S. L. (2004). Mathematics and Literature: Grades 6 - 8. Sausalito, CA: Math Solutions Publications.
- Bush, S., McGatha, M., & Bay-Williams, J.M. (2012) Invest in financial literacy! Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School.
- Bay-Williams, J. M., & Livers, S. (2009). Supporting Math Vocabulary Acquisition. Teaching Children Mathematics, 16(4), 238-246.