LaunchIt: Startup and Innovation Bootcamp
LaunchIt is the University of Louisville's startup and corporate innovation bootcamp. In just ten weeks, we'll help you test your ideas or products in the real world and see if they have what it takes to stick.
PLEASE NOTE: The spring 2022 (February 16-April 20) session will be hybrid, with the majority of coursework being virtual. This session will include two optional in-person meetings: a kickoff meet-and-greet and an end-of-session demo day.
In LaunchIt, an intensive 10-week course with coaching and mentoring, our curriculum includes Steve Blank's lean launchpad methodology, including lessons on customer discovery, product validation, marketing and other considerations when preparing for market launch.
You'll learn how to:
- Prime your business for product launch and/or investment
- Prepare an investor- or consumer-oriented pitch
- Understand the value of a Minimal Viable Product
- Validate your market prior to launch
Our coaches include UofL's Entrepreneurs in Residence, who are knowledgeable entrepreneurs with an in-depth understanding of launching and growing a business.
LaunchIt is perfect for:
- Startups and early-stage companies of all kinds
- Established companies planning to launch a new product or initiative
- University researchers that would like to commercialize an innovation
- University staff and students with an idea for a new business
LaunchIt's programming is:
- 10 weeks
- Weekly Wednesday virtual classes (5:30-7:30 pm)
- Weekly office hours via Zoom
- For Spring 2022: two optional in-person events at UofL
- About 30 minutes each week listening to the Steve Blank Udacity course, “How to Build a Startup”
- At least five (5) hours each week conducting interviews and updating canvases
- Preparing to present updated Lean Canvas to the group.
LaunchIt costs $895 per person ($250/person for the second and third person involved in the same startup or business). SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE!
Our scholarship and grant opportunities include:
- VETSTART GRANT: UofL’s VetStart program will cover LaunchIt tuition costs and startup funds for up to five military veterans through a competitive application process. Applicants must have proof of honorable discharge.
- ULAUNCH GRANT: Under-Represented, Lower-Income and/or Lower-Wealth Entrepreneurs: UofL’s ULaunch program will cover LaunchIt tuition costs and provide limited startup funding for entrepreneurs selected through a competitive application process. Applicants must submit the application along with their most recent household tax return, most recent three months of pay stubs (if applicable), and a letter of recommendation to be considered. While household income is only one of the criteria evaluated, as a guide this program is focused on supporting entrepreneurs whose household income is not substantially above Area Median Income (AMI).
- UofL NSF I-CORPS SITE: For UofL faculty, staff, students and alumni. Program offers a competitive opportunity to full-time UofL faculty, staff, and students — as well as alumni — for up to $2,500 to cover the cost of LaunchIt and expenses related to customer discovery efforts. More information on the I-Corps program and application is available here.
All grant applicants will apply using the same LaunchIt application form. Please contact our staff to learn more about any of these programs and whether you qualify.