Pro-Suspicious Mail or Packages
procedure suspicious mail packages modified Tue Oct 18 2022 14:50:49 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
Suspicious Mail or Packages
This procedure applies to the University Community (administrators, faculty, staff, and students).
REASON FOR PROCEDURE
Suspicious mail or packages should be handled differently than normal mail or packages because they could pose a danger to the recipient.
If you receive a suspicious parcel in the mail:
- Do not open the parcel.
- Isolate the piece of mail.
- Call Public Safety (502-852-6111) for additional instructions.
- Do not pass the letter/parcel to others.
- Deny everyone access to the letter except emergency responders.
- Move to an area that minimizes exposure to others and to the parcel.
- If possible, wash your hands and face with soap and water.
If you open a parcel that appears to be contaminated:
- Do not move the parcel.
- Call Public Safety (852-6111).
- Turn off any fans, window air conditioners and/or small area heaters.
- Isolate the area.
- Evacuate the adjoining areas.
- Everyone who is evacuated should report to the building’s pre-planned assembly area.
- Do not pass the letter/parcel to others. Deny everyone access to the letter except emergency responders.
- The individual who opened the parcel and anyone else who has come in contact with the parcel should remain isolated, in an area adjacent to the original location, and wait for additional instructions from responding emergency personnel.
- If possible, the individuals who had contact with the parcel should wash their face and hands with soap and water.
Chief of Police
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
University of Louisville Police
Floyd Street Parking Garage
Louisville, KY 40292
Revision Date(s): June 30, 2016; September 14, 2021
Reviewed Date(s): June 2014
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.