procedure fire emergencies modified Mon Oct 10 2022 12:56:01 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
This procedure applies to the University Community (administrators, faculty, staff, and students) and visitors.
REASON FOR PROCEDURE
Fires can occur anywhere at anytime. Emergency procedures should be implemented when someone discovers a fire, or a fire alarm system activates.
- Upon discovering a fire, explosion or smoke in the building, activate the fire alarm (if applicable) and notify the occupants of the fire.
- Dial 911.
- Immediately evacuate the building using your preplanned evacuation route or nearest exit. Do not use elevators. Evacuation is mandatory.
- If possible, provide assistance to mobility-impaired individuals. If it is not possible for you to assist these individuals, call ULPD at 502-852-6111. Provide accurate location and number of persons requiring assistance.
- Do not attempt to extinguish the fire unless you feel confident the fire is small enough for you to control and are familiar with the proper use of a fire extinguisher.
- Do not re-enter the building or leave the campus until told to do so by the Department Chair, Fire Department personnel, University Fire Marshal, ULPD, or the Building Emergency Coordinator.
- If someone is injured during the fire or evacuation, dial 911.
- Report any damage to the applicable Physical Plant department either directly or through the Department Chair.
Senior Associate Vice President for Operations
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
Office of the Fire Marshal
Department of Public Safety
Louisville, KY 40208
Revision Date(s): June 30, 2016; September 16, 2021
Reviewed Date(s): June 2014
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.