2015 New Music Festival
University of Louisville School of Music presents 2015 New Music Festival celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the Grawemeyer Award with featured guest composer and 2003 Grawemeyer Award Winner Kaija Saariaho.
French composer and visual artist Jean-Baptiste Barrière, American flutist Camilla Hoitenga and Danish cellist Jakob Kullberg will also be festival guests. The Louisville Orchestra will present a concert featuring works composed by Grawemeyer Winning composers including Notes on Light by Kaija Saariaho.
In addition to taking part in nightly concerts, the festival guests will
present master classes and lectures throughout the week. See the detailed festival event schedule for all festival events. Unless otherwise noted, concerts start at 8 p.m. and are in Comstock Concert Hall at the School of Music. Admission is free and events are open to the public.
- Nov. 10: Faculty Chamber Music including selection form Saariaho’s Six Japanese Gardens
- Nov. 11: The University New Music Ensemble and Wind Ensemble will feature Duft by Saariaho
- Nov. 12: Louisville Orchestra will present a program including music by Saariaho, Penderecki, Adams, Lutoslawski and Salonen.
- Nov. 13: The University Symphony Orchestra will present portion of CInq reflets by Saariahoas well as performances of Elegy, Soliloquy, and Epiloguefor Flute and String Orchestra by Ellen Taaffe Zwilich, commissioned by a consortium of universities including the University of Louisville School of Music. The piece will be performed by UofL faculty member Kathy Karr.
- Nov. 14: Camilla Hoitenga will present an evening of audio visual performances of music by Kaija Saariaho and Jean-Baptiste Barrière.
- Nov. 15, 7:30 pm: Cardinal Singers and the University Collegiate Chorale will showcase a selection of contemporary choir music.
Nox Borealis, an audio-visual installation by Jean-Baptiste Barrière and Kaija Saariaho will be presented at Rauch Planetarium on:
Th, Nov 12 (starting times: 1:00, 1:20, 1:40, 2:00)
Fri Nov 13 (starting times 2:00, 2:20, 2:40, 3:00)
Sun, Nov 15 (starting times 3:00, 3:20, 3:40. 4:00)
For more information, contact Krzysztof Wolek 502-852-7879.