Foreign Language Waiver
Students who are native speakers of a language other than English may be eligible to waive the foreign language requirement of the College of Arts and Sciences. A waiver means that the student has already fulfilled this particular requirement and, as such, need not take any additional coursework in foreign languages.
To request a waiver, students need to demonstrate proficiency in their language by submitting the Foreign Language Waiver application along with one of the following:
- TOEFL SCORES: Students who took the TOEFL and scored high enough to be admitted to UofL may use their test scores to fulfill the language requirement for the BA or the BS.
- HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT: Students can submit an official transcript showing dates of attendance and/or degrees received from a foreign high school (or equivalent institution) in which the language of instruction is not English.
- STAMPS 4S EXAM: The STAMP 4S Exam option is for SPANISH ONLY. Students who took the STAMP 4S Exam for Spanish in high school, may be able to satisfy the language requirement depending on their score and degree. A score of 3 or higher is required to satisfy the language requirement for a Bachelor of Science. A score of 4 or higher is required to satisfy the language requirement for the Bachelor or Arts. Please note that a STAMP 4S score does not preclude students from taking a Spanish course or from taking the CLEP exam for credit.
INDEPENDENT LANGUAGE EVALUATION: Native or Heritage speakers of a language other than English that is not tested by FLATS may be eligible to have their language skills evaluated by an independent evaluator. To do this students will need to:
1. Getting approval for your evaluator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot find an evaluator, you can request one by emailing email@example.com.
2. After getting approval, complete the evaluation and submit the Foreign Language Waiver Form and the Evaluator and Assessment Information Form. For questions about who can serve as a an evaluator, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO REQUEST A WAIVER
- Get together any supporting documentation that you will be submitting along with the Foreign Language Waiver Application
- Complete the Foreign Language Waiver Application
PLEASE NOTE: The waiver does not grant credit and it does not exempt the student from completing the necessary 12 credit hours for graduation. If a waiver is granted, the student must replace the designated hours of foreign language coursework with elective courses to complete the total minimum requirement for graduation.