Welcome & EVPRI Mission Statement
Welcome to the University of Louisville’s Office of Research and Innovation. It is an exciting time to be at the UofL! The past 45 years have taken us from being a metropolitan university that was a “commuter school” to being a much changed university with a dramatically altered profile and a vibrant on-campus life. Over the past 10-15 years, under the leadership of President James Ramsey and Provost Shirley Willihnganz, further dramatic changes have occurred as our faculty, staff and students have taken us on an amazing upward trajectory in growing as a premier, nationally recognized metropolitan research university. This office’s charge is to provide opportunity and service for our scholarly research community, maintain responsible compliance programs and translate our new knowledge into useful forms for the benefit of all.
Every great metropolitan area has a great research university. The University of Louisville is an ambitious institution aspiring always to excellence. We are an institution with a national and international vison and scope that recognizes its key leadership role in transforming the lives of the people and institutions of metropolitan Louisville and the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
The Louisville/Jefferson County metropolitan area is Kentucky's major metropolitan area--a leader in commerce, transportation, health care, the arts, and the state's most diverse community. This community is responsible for a major role in the educational, social, health care, cultural and economic development programs of the state. It is well recognized that for Kentucky to succeed and meet its goals, the state's major urban area must likewise thrive. As Louisville develops so does Kentucky.
The University of Louisville’s contributions to the community and state's public agenda are to:
- engage in scholarly and creative activity that (1) preserves the knowledge of past, (2) that creates new knowledge, (3) that advances the stature of the university in the academic world. and (4) that translates new knowledge into useful form for the betterment of all.
- provide a well educated population and work force—individuals who are engaged citizens and leaders, who can think critically, express themselves well, who are responsible citizens and leaders.
- provide the research and scholarly activity supporting cultural and economic development; the ability to translate intellectual energy and invention through new businesses, new research parks and a vibrant research base that helps attract new talent and investment.
- promote the overall quality of life of our community by ensuring the vibrancy of the social, artistic, and cultural base of the community.
- be the leader in values important to economic growth, developing and attracting talented, energetic people and ideas with a thorough understanding of our global community, embracing cultural diversity, promoting an entrepreneurial spirit and energizing the creativity of the region.
- continue to serve as a source of pride, an energizing and a transforming force for the community through nationally and internationally recognized university accomplishments.
In fulfilling its mission, the University of Louisville will be a transforming agent; an institution of uncommon ambition whose reach exceeds its grasp, preserving the age old values of the academic world while leading its community into the 21st century.
The Mission of the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Innovation is to promote and support research, scholarship, and creative activities; to assist faculty and staff in obtaining intramural and extramural support; to serve as an advocate for the value of research in an educational setting; to enhance the vitality of campus-based research; and to encourage its use to enrich education, enhance technology transfer and serve the community.
William M. Pierce, Jr.
Executive Vice President for Research and Innovation
Address: Jouett Hall
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292-0001
(40208 for UPS, FedEx)