The UofL Privacy Office provides HIPAA general awareness training for workforce members of the covered components of our hybrid entity. Each clinic, hospital, or other healthcare facility where our workforce members are assigned may provide HIPAA-specific policy and procedure training based upon the role each workforce member performs.
The HIPAA general awareness courses provided by the UofL Privacy Office are described below:
- HIPAA Privacy Fundamentals – This course provides an introduction to the Privacy Rule requirements, including changes from the recent HITECH Final Rule Omnibus, and how the Privacy Rule may impact faculty, staff, students and other personnel who work with protected health information at the University. This course replaces HIPAA Basic Privacy Awareness.
- HITECH Final Rule - This course provides an update to the HIPAA Privacy Rule, covering changes under the new HITECH regulations. It is designed for those who have previously completed or were assigned the HIPAA Basic Privacy Awareness* course (pre-HITECH) and need to complete training on the new HITECH requirements.
- HIPAA Information Security Fundamentals – This course provides an introduction to the Security Rule requirements and how the Security Rule may impact faculty, staff, students and other personnel who work with electronic protected health information at UofL.
- HIPAA Research Fundamentals – This course provides information for those who are engaged in UofL research activities requiring access to protected health information. It includes changes from the HITECH Final Rule Omnibus affecting research activities with health information. This course replaces HIPAA Privacy & Research Fundamentals.
- HITECH for Researchers – This course is designed to serve both as a "gap" course and a “refresher” course for those who have previously completed the HIPAA Privacy and Research Fundamentals* course (pre-HITECH). As a refresher this course will fulfill the biennial research training requirements. As a gap course, this course will provide updated training on HITECH's impact on research.
*HIPAA Basic Privacy Awareness and HIPAA Privacy and Research Fundamentals were decommissioned in September 2013, and replaced with revised content to include the new HITECH rules. Workforce members joining UofL after August 31, 2013, will complete the new HIPAA courses as appropriate. Workforce members assigned HIPAA training prior to August 31, 2013, will complete an additional course covering the HITECH changes only (HITECH Final Rule and/or HITECH for Researchers), as appropriate.
If you wish to enroll for HIPAA training, please complete our online HIPAA training enrollment form.