2013 New Music Festival
Grawemeyer winner Brett Dean to be guest composer at New Music Festival
Program to feature a premiere of Dean’s new work
Grawemeyer Award-winning composer Brett Dean will be guest composer at this year’s University of Louisville New Music Festival, Nov. 13 ‒ 17.
Dean will perform several times during the week and UofL’s Wind Ensemble will premiere a new work the composer wrote for the School of Music.
Composers Katarzyna Glowicka (Poland/Holland) and Henry Vega (US/Holland) also will be festival guests. They work primarily in electronic music. Besides taking part in nightly concerts, the artists will present master classes and lectures for students.
Concerts start at 8 p.m. and, unless noted otherwise, are in Comstock Concert Hall, School of Music. Admission is free and open to the public.
- Nov. 13: Electronic and Improvised Music, Rauch Planetarium. Dean will perform an improvisation for viola and two computers with Vega and Krzysztof Wolek, New Music Festival director
- Nov. 14: Elysian Trombone Consort and Faculty Chamber Music. Dean will perform his piece, “Intimate Decisions,” for solo viola and The Elysian Trombone Consort will perform Dean’s “Night Journey.”
- Nov. 15: The University Wind Ensemble will premiere Dean’s “Engelsflügel.”
- Nov. 16: The Grawemeyer Players will perform Dean’s “Winter Songs” and Dean will perform his “Viola Concerto” with the University Symphony Orchestra.
- Nov. 17: Percussion Ensemble and Choirs will perform and Dean will play his piece “Skizzen fur Siegbert” for solo viola.
For more information, contact Krzysztof Wolek 502-852-7879.