Video Recording & Submission Tips
Shooting your video:
- Use whatever device you have that will give you the best audio and video quality. This could be a smartphone or tablet- you don’t need professional equipment!
- Be sure to test out your device’s sound settings; you may need to adjust the volume (gain) on your microphone so that we can hear you, but that your sound is not distorted in your recording. You might want to test both your softest and loudest dynamics.
- Your recording must include both audio and video of your audition performance- please don’t upload audio only with a fixed image.
- Set up your video device in a fixed place (preferably not held by hand) where we can see at least your full upper body, including your embouchure (side view is ok) for brass/wind instruments and your hands/fingers for all instrumentalists. Camera should be no closer than waist up for jazz applicants. Make sure you are not blocked by your music stand.
- Be sure that you are well-lit in the video- don’t record in a dark corner or with bright light behind you if possible.
- Leave 3-5 seconds of silence at the beginning and at the end of your video before you start playing.
- Record each etude, movement, or piece (as appropriate) in one continuous take - no editing.
- Please do not attempt to electronically enhance your sound in any way.
- Do not use special effects, dissolves, fades or wipes.
- Dress appropriately for the video, as you would for a live audition.
Uploading your video to YouTube and sharing the video for your audition:
- You can upload to YouTube from a computer or directly from a mobile device.
- If you don’t have a YouTube account, you’ll need to create one.
- Create a Channel from your account (you will be prompted to do this when you go to upload). Name the channel for this audition your name (First Last) and your instrument, for example "Jennifer Smith Euphonium."
- Once you’ve created and logged into your YouTube account, click the “Create” button in the upper left-hand corner, and select "Upload a video" (you may need to allow YouTube access to your photos or movies if uploading directly from a mobile device).
- Title your video "Your Name Instrument UofL Audition Fall 2021”
- The default setting for your video is Public, meaning that anyone can view it. If you’d prefer not to share your video with the general public, you can set your video to Unlisted. Please don’t set your video to Private, as we may not be able to view your audition.
- Once your video has been uploaded, try playing it on YouTube to make sure everything uploaded correctly- sometimes strange things can happen! If your video does not play back correctly on YouTube, but does work on your computer or mobile device, don’t panic! Try deleting the video from YouTube and uploading it again. Sometimes it’s just a matter of a bad connection.
- After you’ve confirmed that your video has uploaded to YouTube correctly, login into your New Cards Gateway. To login to your Application Gateway, please visit the following website: www.uofl.me/gateway. Make sure you are in the "Gateway" checklist tab. There you will find the "School of Music Registration Fall 2021" form. Complete the Audition Registration form and copy the YouTube link to the bottom of the form. You’ll receive an email from us confirming that we’ve received your Audition Registration Form.
- If you have any trouble accessing the form or submitting videos, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help!