connect with us via:
March 2014: March On!
March is Cancer Awareness Month. Did you know that the economic impact of cancer is more than $200 billion per year and apprx. 13 million Americans are living with a cancer diagnosis? Though we don’t know everything about cancer, there are some things everyone can do to reduce their risk factors. Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables; limit alcohol consumption; don’t smoke or use tobacco products; and get plenty of exercise! This month join Get Healthy Now and to live a healthy lifestyle and to raise awareness about how to proactively reduce your risk. Life well lived, it’s in you!
- Blue of L Day: It's official! The University of Louisville is going blue on March 7 for a good cause...to raise awareness of colon cancer screening. Dr. Donald Miller, Director of the James Graham Brown Cancer Center, advises "Colon cancer screening can save lives. Nine out of ten colon cancers can be prevented or cured if detected early." "I've been screened for colon cancer," says President James Ramsey, "and I join Dr. Miller in encouraging everyone age 50 and over to schedule an appointment." Show your support…wear blue on Blue of L Day and visit the Get Healthy Now Wellness Center to learn more and earn prizes! Additional Information: Jaime Wientjes, 852-6318. Share this flyer with your unit. Blue of L Day Celebration:
- Date/Time: Friday, March 7th, 11:30am-12:30pm (group photo at noon w/employees, patients, etc.)
- Place: Brown Cancer Center lobby
- Who: Madeline Abramson (Honorary Chair for Dress in Blue Day & Lieutenant Gov.’s wife), UofL’s Darrell Griffith, and Paul Rogers (Voice of the Cards) will be there to meet & greet and take photos, etc. Darrell will autograph basketballs and tshirts for door prizes...and you!!!
- Bust Some Brackets: Get Healthy Now's March Madness Challenge
Lace up your glass slippers and let’s bust some brackets! Join the GHN March Madness Challenge, promoting team work, physical activity, and a fun fitness routine. Teams earn points for participating in fitness classes and other exercise opportunities at the GHN Wellness Center. Compete head-to-head with other teams and advance through the bracket with weekly games. Winners will receive an awesome grand prize! Tip-off: March 17-April 11, 2014 Sign up today!
- International Women's Day: Inspiring change in our mental health and well-being! Don't miss this awesome event!
- National Diabetes Alert Day: On March 25th and 26th, GHN will be taking part in the American Diabetes Association Alert Day, a one-day “wake-up call” to the UofL community to find out if they are at risk for Type 2 diabetes. Join us by making an appointment for free glucose screenings from 7-9 a.m. at the GHN Wellness Center (March 25) and on HSC at the Nursing School, Rm 2002 (March 26). Not sure if you’re at risk for type 2 diabetes? Take the online “Type 2 Diabetes Risk Test”.
- Learn to do all your daily tasks, even eating, with mindfulness. A new Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction session starts in April- learn more and enroll today.
- Whole food choices make good 'cents': Learn about the how and why of eating healthy on a budget.
- GHN is on Facebook and sharing healthy recipe ideas on the regular. Like us to learn more!
- Healthier After-School Programs: Boys-and-Girls Clubs across the nation will be helping America's youth get healthy!
- McAlister’s Deli Features “Lite Choose Two” Menu Offering: More Than 200 Options Under 600 Calories. The menu features a variety of delicious, low-calorie sandwiches, spuds, salads and soups. Learn more.
- Preventing Childhood Obesity: Balance is key in helping your child maintain a healthy weight. Balance the calories your child eats and drinks with the calories used through physical activity and normal growth. Overweight and obese children and teens should reduce the rate of weight gain while allowing normal growth and development. Learn how with these tips! (via the American Heart Assocation)
- International Women's Day: Inspiring change in our mental health and well-being! Learn to “DIY" with 5 interactive stations, aimed to support your Beautiful, Grateful, Connected, Mindful, and Active Life! Hear Dr. Joyce Spurgeon, Women’s Mental Health Clinic, enjoy FREE food, music, and networking! Everyone is invited. Celebrate a woman in your life!! March 20th, 5:30—8:00 pm, Bigelow Hall, MITC RSVP Today
- Yoga and Pilates at the GHN Wellness Center: Refresh your body and mind with these inspiring offerings. Enjoy the best value on campus - unlimited access all semester for only $40. Free trial March 3-7.
- Thrive! Are you happy, healthy and energized? Pause from your busy schedule and discover how to reset your internal GPS, in order to thrive. Join us at 12 noon beginning Wednesday, March 19th on the Belknap Campus in the Student Services Annex, CHPPS Conference Room. REGISTER NOW
- Self-Care for the Caregiver: Get Healthy Now and the Great Places to Work Work-Life Balance Committee launched the Caregiving series for employees who care for a grand/child, parent, relative, or friend. The month's workshop, presented by Dr. Sharon Moore, Professor, UofL's Kent School of Social Work, will focus on self-care for you, the caregiver! Learn more.
- Literacy Project: Help GHN build healthy minds by donating books to Cochran Elementary’s 3rd annual “Passport to Literacy." Donate used or new books for all ages in lobby at the GHN Wellness Center and help promote literacy within the home.
- Condition Management Offerings:
- The Get Healthy Now Wellness Center is your one-stop-wellness shop! Fitness and wellness classes, state-of-the-art equipment, fully refinished locker rooms, and NO monthly membership fees for UofL employees!
- Located at 601 Presidents Blvd: Directions
- Complete the Enrollment Packet [pdf] and bring with you when you first visit the facility.
- New this month:
- Gain Core Power with Pilates: Try it out for free between March 3 – March 7!
- Stroll & Stretch: Looking for a gentler approach to fitness? This fitness class is for you!
- Congratulations to Jimmy Henderson for being recognized as Member of the Month! Jimmy is the Associate Director, Alumni Relations and is most proud of the fitness mindset that he’s committed to. He lives an active lifestyle and shares a smile with all who cross his path. Check out his Member of the Month Profile at the Get Healthy Now Wellness Center.
- First Friday Line Dancing Event for faculty and staff is back! Sponsored by GHN and the Great Places to Work Campus-Climate Committee.
- New fitness equipment: Thanks to member feedback we’ve added a full set of kettlebells, an inner-outer thigh machine, as well as a full Power-rack. In order to make room for the new additions, some cardiovascular equipment has been moved upstairs to the third floor track area. For an explanation of how to properly use any of our equipment, ask the Wellness Center staff!
- Have you picked up your official Get Healthy Now t-shirt? Show your Cardinal pride! Purchase a technical t-shirts at the GHN Wellness Center front desk to purchase for only $20!
- Guest Passes Now Available: Treat out of town guests (ages 18+) to a day of wellness! $5/day or $20/wk.
- Walk to Run Club: The Louisville Triple Crown of Running has begun! There are two more races left in the series: the Rodes City Run 10k (March 8) and the Papa John’s 10-miler (March 22). These races are great build-ups for the Louisville Mini/Marathon which takes place in mid-April.
- GHN is cheering on our Walk-to-Run Club and an inspiring unit from HSC who are running the Triple Crown together! Three cheers for this inspiring UofL Team working on the NIH R15 Grant: Dr. Cynthia Logsdon, Kristin Baisch, Kayla Jones, and Elizabeth Rose have decided that they are going to act on their New Year’s Resolution of getting fit and healthy. Read their story and get inspired!
- Get caught having fun! Laura Feese, Certified Aquatic Instructor with 25+ years of experience, leads a progressive water work-out for GHN’s Water Fitness classes. No swimming skills needed (hair can stay dry or not). Benefits include increased energy, better sleeping, relief from joint pain and more. Enroll today!
- Active Transportation: UofL's Sustainability Council offers you these fun transport options that'll save money, burn calories, and protect the planet.
- March Educational Opportunities:
- Help a UofL researcher better understand coping and well-being in cancer caregivers by taking this IRB approved survey.
We look forward to providing you with insightful monthly highlights & happenings to assist you in championing your health all year long!