Cards Connection FAQ
- What is the purpose of Cards Connection?
- How does the program work?
- Why should I participate in summer mentoring?
- Do I have to sign up for the program?
- Do I have to be on campus to participate?
- How do I contact my summer mentor?
- How do I log onto UofL email?
Cards Connection helps keep you, our new incoming students, connected to the university and supported through your transition to UofL during the time between Summer Orientation and the start of classes. Upperclass student mentors will connect with you via UofL email and provide individualized summer support to help give you the scoop on college life and assist you in preparing for a successful start at UofL.
If you attended Summer Orientation as a first time freshman, your SOSer will continue on as your summer mentor. Starting in early July, your summer mentor will email you each week at your UofL email account. They're available to answer any questions you have about getting ready to leave home, coming to school and what college life will be like. Feel free to email them anytime you have a question, or just to offer a friendly hello.
Because the program is entirely online, you can be anywhere in the world this summer and still have the ability to communicate with your summer mentor. You'll meet back up with your mentor at the SOSer Reunion event at Welcome Week.
Students who take advantage of this summer mentoring say that it was beneficial in a number of ways:
- Easing the transition to college life and the University of Louisville
- New students liked making connections with upperclass students.
- Their summer mentor helped them understand more about what college is really like and offered many helpful hints.
- Bridging the gap between Summer Orientation and Welcome Week
- With all these connections and all this great information, new student participants came to Welcome Week and the start of the term with friends and knowledge about the university— two very important keys to new student success!
- Learning more about UofL technology and feeling ready for classes
- Mentor tips about academics (books, professors, workload, etc.) helped ease their worries about college-level courses.
- Mentor support for using Blackboard helped participants learn early how it works, so they felt better prepared for classes.
No sign-ups are needed! There’s nothing you need to do other than check your UofL email starting in July so that you get the communications.
The great thing about this program is that it’s help at your fingertips, whether you’re in Maysville, Malibu or Mumbai. Just keep checking your UofL email.
- Log in to your account at http://louisville.edu/email (opens new window)
- Your log in ID for UofL email is your ULink userID@louisville.edu (for example: email@example.com). Your password is the same as your ULink password.
- If you’re still having trouble, contact UofL’s IT HelpDesk to get assistance. They can be reached online or at 502-852-7997.