Admissions FAQ for Prospective Graduate Students

    Prospective Graduate Students

    What graduate programs do you offer?

    The University of Louisville offers over 100 masters, doctoral and graduate certificate programs. Please visit our graduate degree programs for more information.

    When is the deadline to submit my application?

    The deadlines for applications vary by program. Please contact your program of interest for specific information. In most instances, this can be located on the program’s webpage. Go to the program link above for more information.

    Can I apply with a paper application?

    Yes, students can apply with a paper copy, but it is highly encouraged to use the online application. You can request a paper application from our office or a PDF version by contacting us at

    What are the requirements for admission?

    Requirements vary by program. Please contact your program of interest for specific information. However, in addition to your application and application fee, most programs require you to submit official transcripts from all colleges attended, as well as at least two recommendation letters and GRE scores.

    What is the cost of attendance?

    For more information, please visit the Bursar's Office.

    What standardized tests are required?

    Most programs require you to take the GRE, but please check with your department to confirm. Some programs may accept the GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, or DAT in lieu of the GRE, however, this is specific to certain departments. Graduate programs may also waive the GRE requirement for applicants with terminal degrees (example: M.D., J.D., Ph.D.), however this is at the discretion of the individual program.

    I already have a master’s degree; do I have to take the GRE?

    Yes. Check with your program first to make sure that they require the GRE.

    How do I register for the GRE?

    You can register for the GRE online at You will need to provide the University of Louisville institution code of 1838 in order for your scores to be reported to the university.

    How can I arrange a visit to campus?

    Please call us at (502) 852-6495. We will be more than happy to provide you with the contact information of the tour center and to connect you with your program of interest.

    When should I send my documents?

    Please note we do not track documents without an application, with the exception of GRE scores. Therefore, please wait to send your documents until after you have submitted your application.

    Can I submit unofficial transcripts and test scores?

    No. We do not accept any unofficial documents. We also do not accept emailed or faxed transcripts or test scores. The only documents that are accepted via email are personal statements, resumes, letters of recommendation, and writing samples. Transcripts may be sent electronically from your institution by using eScript Safe, Avow Systems, Docufide, or the National Student Clearinghouse.

    Can my recommenders submit their letters online?

    Yes, students that apply online have the option to use the online letter of recommendation service. Simply provide the name and e-mail address for each of your recommenders and an automated e-mail will be sent requesting them to fill out the recommendation form and upload a discursive letter on your behalf. If you do not use this service, your recommenders can still e-mail letters of recommendation to

    Can I apply to more than one program in the same term?

    Yes, you can apply to multiple programs in the same term with one set of transcripts and one set of test scores. A separate application for admission and $30 additional application fee will be required for each additional program. Other supplemental documents MAY need to be duplicated. Contact your programs of interest for further information.

    Can I wait until a decision has been made about my application to pay the application fee?

    No decision will be made regarding your application until your fee has been paid.

    How do I know if I’m eligible for an application fee waiver?

    Please contact us at (502) 852-6495 regarding your eligibility. Application fee waivers are primarily granted to those receiving government public assistance through programs such as Aid to Families with Dependent Care (AFDC), Medicaid, Food Stamps, or Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI).

    I am a University of Louisville employee; do I need to pay the application fee?

    Yes, university employees are required to pay the application fee.


    How can I check the status of my application?

    The status of your application can be checked online via ULink. ULink (University of Louisville Information Network) is a University website that integrates a number of student services including the offices of Student Financial Aid, Registrar, and Bursar. Once you have logged in, click student services and then view my graduate application status.

    How will I be notified when a decision has been made?

    The intended program of study will send an official letter of admission via e-mail or regular mail. Additionally, you can check the status of your application on ULink to determine whether a decision has been made. Typically, you will receive official notification 4-6 weeks after the program’s application deadline.

    I won’t graduate until after the application deadline but I’d like to start graduate school right away. Am I eligible to apply before I complete my bachelor’s?

    Yes, you can apply by submitting your application, other credentials, and your most recent transcript which should include your courses and grades up to the time of application. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit a final transcript that shows you were awarded your bachelor’s degree before you are allowed to continuously enroll in graduate study.

    How do I apply for assistantships and fellowships?

    The majority of the assistantships are awarded by departments; students are typically required to provide service in the form of teaching or research assistance. Contact your program director to determine if assistantships are available and if you are eligible to apply. Students who are eligible for University Fellowships (for doctoral students only) and Ethnic Minority scholarships (for both masters and doctoral students) awarded by SIGS must be nominated by their programs. Please contact your department for more information.

    When can I apply for financial aid?

    You can apply for financial aid before you have an admission decision. Please contact UofL’s Financial Aid Office at (502) 852-5511 for more information.

    Can I defer my admission?

    Typically you can defer your admission, but please contact your department for confirmation. If you are granted a deferment, they will contact the graduate admissions office to change your admission start date.

    I have recently changed my name or address; what do I need to do to update my records?

    Please contact our office. If you have a name change for any reason, you will need to submit a copy of your new social security card and/or driver’s license.

    Although I was not offered admission, I plan to reapply sometime in the future. How long will you retain my prior application and credentials?

    We will retain your credentials for two years. If you were denied admission, a new application and application fee are required.

    Admitted Students

    When do I register for classes?

    For information on when you can register for classes, please visit the Registrar's Office. Also provided is information regarding your last day to enroll, withdraw, etc. Additionally, the Graduate School will send you information regarding registration dates via email upon your admission.

    How do I register for classes?

    You can register for classes via ULink. To find out more about the process, visit the UofL’s Registrar’s Office.

    How much is tuition?

    For tuition and fee information, including due dates and UofL’s tuition reduction schedule, visit the Bursar's Office.

    Who qualifies as a Kentucky resident?

    To determine if you qualify as a Kentucky resident, please review the guidelines posted on UofL’s Office of Enrollment Management. Decisions regarding your residency status are made upon the point of admission by the graduate admissions office.

    I’m from Indiana. Do I qualify for in-state tuition?

    The University of Louisville participates in an Indiana Tuition Reciprocity Program for residents of Clark, Crawford, Floyd, Harrison, Scott, and Washington counties who have been admitted directly into an approved program. Students pursuing degrees from the Professional Schools (Law, Medical, & Dental) are not eligible.

    When is orientation?

    The Graduate School has an orientation module typically released to new graduate students in mid-July, as well as a resource fair and meet and greed in August.  Please continue to check the website for more information. If you are awarded a graduate teaching assistantship, you are required to attend the New Graduate Teaching Assistant Orientation. Your academic department will typically also hold orientation sessions and these may be required. Please contact them for more information. You will also be emailed this information in July and August. 

    Who is my advisor?

    You will receive correspondence from your program notifying you of your academic advisor.

    How do I change my status from provisional or special conditions to good standing?

    Please contact our office at (502) 852-6495 for more information, as each student’s situation is different.

    International Students

    Do I need my foreign transcripts evaluated by a credential evaluation service?

    This is determined by individual graduate programs. It is recommended to have your credentials evaluated by World Education Service (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).

    I am an international applicant, so what kind of financial documentation do I need to provide if I do not get a fellowship or assistantship?

    You will be asked to document that you have adequate financial resources to support your educational and living expenses for the duration of your studies in the United States. Acceptable documentation would include:

    • Original bank statement(s)
    • Original affidavit of support from a sponsor who is a US citizen or legal permanent resident specifying the amount and duration of the support and validity for attendance at the University of Louisville (the name and relationship of the sponsor to the student must be clear on the official letter)
    • Official letter from the government indicating financial sponsorship

    Additionally, students from countries whose government restricts the amount of money which may be sent abroad for their education, must submit a letter of approval from the currency control authorities stating that they will be eligible for currency exchange if accepted.

    Is proof of English proficiency required?

    All applicants for whom English is a second language need to show evidence of sufficient proficiency in the English language. Applicants may demonstrate English proficiency by submitting Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 213 or higher on the computer-based test, 550 or higher on the paper-based test, 79 or higher on the Internet-based test, or successfully complete the Advanced Level of the University of Louisville's Intensive English as a Second Language (IESL) Program. Additionally, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores of at least 6.5 overall band score are accepted as proof of English proficiency.