August 2023 Member Publications
- Petri BJ, Cave MC, Klinge CM. Changes in m6A in Steatotic Liver Disease. Genes (Basel). 2023 Aug 19;14(8):1653. doi: 10.3390/genes14081653. PMID: 37628704; PMCID: PMC10454815.
Impact Statement: This is a review paper in which we summarized the readers, writers, and erasers of N6-methyladenosine (m6A), the current methods of detecting m6A in specific genes, and the state of knowledge about m6A and other RNA modifications in steatotic liver disease.
- Chen N, Cheng D, Sodipo MO, Barnard ME, DuPre NC, Tamimi RM, Warner ET. Impact of age, race, and family history on COVID-19-related changes in breast cancer screening among the Boston mammography cohort study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2023 Aug 25. doi: 10.1007/s10549-023-07083-y. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37624552.
Impact Statement: After the COVID-19 lockdown period, the return to breast cancer screening was lower in women 50 years and older, and it was lower in non-White women for diagnostic imaging. Careful attention must be paid to ensure equitable resumption of breast cancer screening and care that was greatly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hein DW, Salazar-González RA, Doll MA, Zang Y. The effect of the rs1799931 G857A (G286E) polymorphism on N-acetyltransferase 2-mediated carcinogen metabolism and genotoxicity differs with heterocyclic amine exposure. Arch Toxicol. 2023 Oct;97(10):2697-2705. doi: 10.1007/s00204-023-03577-2. Epub 2023 Aug 18. PMID: 37592049.
Impact Statement: Cultures of DNA-repair deficient Chinese hamster ovary cells transfected with human CYP1A2 and NAT2 genetic variants were incubated with heterocyclic amine (HCA)carcinogens present in the human diet. HCA generation of DNA damage and reactive oxygen species varied with NAT2 genetic variant and HCA. The findings document the role of NAT2 genetic polymorphism in genotoxicity from HCA exposures.
- Schulman-Geltzer EB, Collins HE, Hill BG, Fulghum KL. Coordinated Metabolic Responses Facilitate Cardiac Growth in Pregnancy and Exercise. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2023 Aug 15. doi: 10.1007/s11897-023-00622-0. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37581772.
Impact Statement: This publication highlights the importance of metabolic adaptations in promoting physiological cardiac growth during pregnancy and exercise, revealing distinct yet interconnected mechanisms. Understanding the metabolic mechanisms that contribute to cardiac remodeling could identify actionable avenues to optimize cardiovascular health and prevent harmful cardiac remodeling, benefitting pregnant individuals and those engaged in regular exercise.
- Petri BJ, Piell KM, Wilt AE, Howser AD, Winkler L, Whitworth MR, Valdes BL, Lehman NL, Clem BF, Klinge CM. microRNA regulation of the serine synthesis pathway in endocrine-resistant breast cancer cells. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2023 Aug 1:ERC-23-0148. doi: 10.1530/ERC-23-0148. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37650685.
Impact Statement: In this research paper, we identified four miRNAs that were downregulated by HNRNPA2B1 in breast cancer cells that regulate the transcript and protein levels of two key enzymes in the serine synthesis pathway (SSP), phosphoserine aminotransferase 1 (PSAT1) and phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase (PHGDH). These miRNAs directly target the PSAT1 3'UTR (miR-145-5p and miR-424-5p) and the PHGDH 3'UTR (miR-34b-5p and miR-876-5p) in dual luciferase assays. Transient transfection of these miRNAs restored endocrine-therapy sensitivity in LCC9 and ZR-75-1-4-OHT tamoxifen-resistant breast cancer cells. Overall, our data suggest a role for decreased HNRNPA2B1-regulated miRNAs in endocrine-resistance and upregulation of the SSP to promote tumor progression in ER+ breast cancer.
- Keck JW, Lindner J, Liversedge M, Mijatovic B, Olsson C, Strike W, Noble A, Adatorwovor R, Lacy P, Smith T, Berry SM. Wastewater Surveillance for SARS-CoV-2 at Long-Term Care Facilities: Mixed Methods Evaluation. JMIR Public Health Surveill. 2023 Aug 29;9:e44657. doi: 10.2196/44657. PMID: 37643001; PMCID: PMC10467632.
Impact Statement: The study demonstrated that wastewater surveillance could potentially serve as an effective early warning system for detecting SARS-CoV-2 in long-term care facilities (LTCFs). While the surveillance efficiently detected SARS-CoV-2 and additional pathogens of interest, it acknowledged some challenges that need to be addressed for broad adoption in these settings.
- Groswald AM, Gripshover TC, Watson WH, Wahlang B, Luo J, Jophlin LL, Cave MC. Investigating the Acute Metabolic Effects of the N-Methyl Carbamate Insecticide, Methomyl, on Mouse Liver. Metabolites. 2023 Aug 1;13(8):901. doi: 10.3390/metabo13080901. PMID: 37623845; PMCID: PMC10456691.
Impact Statement: This publication demonstrates that methomyl, an n-methyl carbamate insecticide, disrupts hepatic metabolism and may act as an endocrine disruptor, highlighting potential health risks. These findings emphasize the need for further research into the impact of n-methyl carbamate insecticides on metabolic health and diseases like toxicant-associated steatotic liver disease (TASLD).