University Police provides numerous services to the university community:


  • After-Hours Emergency Notifications
  • Communications Center
  • Emergency Medical Services
  • Escorts
  • Event Security
  • Facility Access
  • Lost and Found
  • Officer Complaints
  • Operation Identification
  • Police Reports
  • Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
  • Security in Design
  • Security System Installation

    After-Hours Emergency Notifications

    The Communications Center maintains an on-call list of Environmental Health & Safety, Physical Plant, contract custodial staff, Residence Administration, Student Counseling, Student Health, Student Life, etc. personnel to assure appropriate response to campus emergencies at all hours. Also, in extreme cases, Public Safety can assist in the delivery of an emergency message to a student, staff or faculty member. You may contact University Police at 852-6111.

    Communications Center

    It is the mission of the University Police Communications Section to serve as a link between the University community (including visitors and guests) and the University of Louisville relating to matters of public safety and emergency assistance. The Communications Center is staffed 24 hours a day seven days a week by certified Law Enforcement Telecommunicators trained by the Kentucky Department of Justice, Bureau of Training. Telecommunicators are responsible for answering calls for police, fire, emergency medical services (EMS), maintenance and escort services; monitoring fire, intrusion, emergency and maintenance alarms; and dispatching and coordinating police, fire, EMS and security officer units in both emergency and non-emergency situations. The Communications Section is also responsible for monitoring and relaying information from the department's Emergency Telephone system; coordinating after hours access, and dealing with inquiries related to maintenance and a host of other issues.

    To assist in accomplishing this mission, the Communications Center is equipped with a variety of contemporary technologies. In addition to an advanced radio communications system, the Communications Center operates a dynamic large-scale computer-based system which monitors and/or controls systems in virtually every building on campus. Through this system, building fire and security alarms are monitored, and door access is controlled by card readers and commands from the console. The Communications Section is also equipped with computer workstations connected to the department's local area network and-- on a larger scale-- to the University's wide area network. These work stations provide a full complement of computing and information services including computer aided dispatch, message paging, E-mail and Internet access, to name a few. Full access to the National Crime Information Center, Law Enforcement Network of Kentucky and the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System is provided by a workstation located in the Communications Center. T his system enables Telecommunicators to make inquiries concerning stolen items and wanted persons and obtain driver's license and vehicle registration information on a national level. Property stolen at the University is also entered into the database from this workstation where the information is available to virtually every law enforcement agency in the United States.

    Emergency Medical Services

    Please call Louisville Metro Safe at 911 or the University Police at 852-6111 if there is a medical emergency. If you are in need of an ambulance, one will be dispatched to your location.

    University Police Officers are certified in First Aid/CPR/AED and will respond as first- responders when needed.  Transportation will be coordinated through Louisville Metro EMS due to patient safety.

    University Police Escorts

    The University Police offers escorts for any member of the university community from the hours of dusk to dawn any day of the year. Escorts during daylight hours may be provided when documented safety concerns exist. We are able to escort anyone on campus up to four blocks off campus. The service is provided free of charge to members of the university community and may be obtained by calling 852-6111. Be prepared to state your name and location, and an officer will be dispatched to meet you.

    When walking on campus during evening and overnight hours, you are encouraged to walk with another person and use well-lighted and well-traveled routes such as the marked L-Trail.

    Escort boundaries are as follows:

    Belknap Campus

    • within the campus, to University Park Apartments, to the Province Apartments, to the Arch, Cardinal Towne and from campus up to four blocks off campus.

    Health Sciences Center Campus

    • within the campus, to the Phoenix Place Apartments and from campus up to four blocks.

    ShelbyHurst Campus

    • within the campus only.

      Event Security

      Any significant event on University property that raises security issues or concerns should be reviewed with the University Police. Both sworn and non-sworn personnel are available on an hourly basis for special events, crowd control, asset protection, etc. Departments or organizations planning special activities should contact Major Steve Green at 502-852-6111 as early as possible in order to plan for the event or activity.

      Facility Access

      MANUAL LOCKING AND UNLOCKING of buildings is the responsibility of the University Police after normal business hours. During the normal workday, locking/unlocking is provided by the department responsible for the space and/or the Physical Plant department. Should you need additional assistance, please contact University Police.

      The University Police will not open rooms or facilities without the proper authorization from the person responsible for the facility (i.e. Vice-President, Dean, Chairman, Director, or Department Head). Persons who have no other means of entry, (i.e. students, temporary or part-time employees, etc.), must be listed on an Authorization Entry List Form. That form must be on file at the Department of Public Safety.

      We also recommend that you include information on all departmental faculty and staff in order to avoid any problems in the future with forgotten keys or keys accidentally locked in an office. If a person requests access and we do not have the authorizing information on file, that person will either be denied entry or required to contact the appropriate, responsible individual for that area to obtain permission to enter.

      Only one Authorization Entry Form needs to be attached to all Authorization Entry List (s) per department, classroom, lab, special group, etc. For example, if access is needed for a classroom or lab, the Authorization Entry Form should be completed including the instructor’s name and the Authorization Entry List(s) should include all students needing after-hours access.

      It is imperative that all requested information on both the Entry Form and the List be completed. Handwritten or copies of class rosters will not be accepted in place of the required Authorization Entry Form or List(s).

      ELECTRONIC LOCKING AND UNLOCKING of buildings is the responsibility of the University Police. Many buildings are set up on an electronic schedule to lock and unlock. To obtain electronic access for an employee(s) or student(s), for after-hours access or for buildings that are secured 24/7, the Unit Business Manager, Director, or unit’s Vice President/Dean must send an email to requesting the access. The email must contain the employee/student (needing access) full name, seven digit ID number, specific door(s) numbers, and building name. Requests are usually completed within 24 hours.

      VENDOR ACCESS CARDS – If there is a need to grant access to a person(s) that is not part of the university community (such as contractors, vendors, researchers, and/or visitors), the requesting department will be required to send an email to stating who, (company name and person’s name) needs access, reason for access, what specific access doors need to be assigned, and how long the individual will need access. The requesting department is responsible for the distribution of the vendor card(s) to the correct individual needing access. All vendor cards are $10 each and a speedtype should be provided in the email so that an IUT can be done to process the charge. Any individual that uses a university vendor access card must be at least 18 years of age.

      Lost and Found

      The University Police is the central repository for items found on campus but there are also individual collection points across campus. If you've lost anything please stop by University Police or contact us at 502-852-6111. Should you need additional assistance, please contact Major Steve Green

      Here is a list of those locations for your convenience:

      Bingham Humanities - English Dept. - room 315 - 852-6801

      CBPA (Business school) - Advising Center - room 031 - 852-7439

      Chemistry Building - Chemistry Dept. - room 138 - 852-6798

      Crawford Gym - Equipment room - 852-6648

      School of Education - Student services - room 123A - 852-6411

      Ekstrom Library - 852-6757

      Gardiner Hall - Advising - 852-5502

      Gottschalk Hall - History Dept. - room 101 - 852-6817

      Information Center A - between Miller & Davidson Hall - 852-6565

      Information Center B - on the oval near Grawmeyer Hall - 852-6571

      Life Sciences Building - Biology Dept. - room 139 - 852-6771

      School of Music - Administrative offices - room 150b - 852-4194

      Natural Sciences Building - Physics Dept. - room 102 - 852-6787

      Dept. of Public Safety - Communications Center - 852-6111

      Strickler Hall - REACH - room126 - 852-6706

      Student Activities Center

      SAC East Wing - Intramural Sports - 852-6707

      SAC West Wing - SAC room W310 - 852-6691

      J.B. Speed Building Speed School - Student Council - 852-6301

      Bass Rudd Tennis Center - Front Desk - 852-1685

      Shelby Campus - Telecommunications Research Center - 852-0900

      Brigman Hall - Justice Administration - 852-6567

      Houchens Building - Room 100 - 852-6699

      Schneider Hall - Room 104 -852-6794

      Law Library - Circulation Desk - 852-0729

      Officer Complaints

      It is our firm intent that the University Police serve as a model professional law enforcement agency. To accomplish this role, it is vital that we maintain the trust of the University community. During the delivery of essential community services, there may be an occasion wherein conflict results . . . sometimes to the point where a complaint is generated against a member of the University Police.

      To deal with such matters effectively, we designated internal affairs officers to respond to and investigate complaints. A complaint lodged against a University Police employee will be dealt with in a professional manner, giving full consideration to the protection of the rights of all parties involved. Any member of the University community having a complaint related to the conduct of a University Police employee should contact the on-duty supervisor at 502-852-6111 as soon as possible after the incident. Or, you may choose to use the Officer Complaint Form. After internal matters have been investigated, findings and recommendations are reported to the Director of Public Safety, who then bears the responsibility for resolving the complaint in a timely manner. If requested by the complainant, the decision by the Director of Public Safety can be appealed to the Vice President for Business Affairs.

      Operation Identification

      We urge members of the University community to participate in this crime prevention program which seeks to record identifying information on valuable property and to engrave an identifying number onto the property. University Police has the engravers to loan and the forms to use. Please contact Major Aaron Graham at 502-852-6111.

      Police Reports

      If you’ve been involved in an incident in which a University of Louisville Police Officer responded to the incident, and you need to request a copy of the incident report, please allow 5 business days from the date of the incident to request the report.

      In compliance with current policy, you may request a copy of a police report by completing an Incident Report Request form (PDF), and submitting it to the University of Louisville Police Department. You will be notified by phone when the report you requested is ready to be picked up at the Police Department.

      Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design

      The University Police receive specialized training in and actively promote the concept of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED). CPTED strategies enhance facility security through design and use of space; and they are generally considered more appropriate to an academic setting since they tend to heighten awareness, expose criminal behavior and engender a higher level of personal comfort for the building occupants. CPTED concepts have been incorporated into the University's design manual and are a regular part of consideration during security surveys and discussions with architects.

      Contact James Bratcher or call 502-852-7241 for further information.

      Security in Design

      University Police provides security consulting services for new construction and renovation projects. As a part of this responsibility, the Physical Security Coordinator participates in design development and project coordination meetings. Working with the design professionals assigned to the project, the Physical Security Coordinator is also responsible for security system design services. In addition, the Physical Security Coordinator is actively involved in the development of the Campus Facilities Design Manual to guide architects and planners and establish construction standards for the University of Louisville.

      Please contact James Bratcher or call 502-852-7241 if you are planning a renovation or construction project.

      Security System Installation

      University Police must approve the purchase and installation of security systems for all campus buildings. A “security system” is defined as any device, system, or subsystem of another system designed to detect and/or report the presence of a criminal act or violation of a security practice or policy occurring within a specific space or area. The term applies to, but is not be limited to, systems or devices:

      ▪   Intended to report criminal intrusion into a protected space;

      ▪   Intended to permit or deny access to a building or space;

      ▪   Intended to report security violation events such as alarmed exits, delayed egress locks, or systems and door prop alarms;

      ▪   Intended to be activated by a victim of a crime during a duress condition or hold-up event. This includes emergency telephones or intercoms or call boxes, duress alarms and hold-up alarms;

      ▪   Intended to record by any means, the activity of persons or places before, during and/or after a criminal event and includes both video and audio recording systems or devices.

      Units or departments interested in acquiring a security system must first submit the Security System Request Form. Upon receipt of the request, the Physical Security Coordinator will consult with the unit/department regarding their security needs.

      This process is meant to ensure that all security equipment is centrally managed and monitored by University Police in accordance with the Facilities Design Standardization Policy.

      If you have any questions, please contact the Physical Security Coordinator at 502-852-7241.