University of Louisville Fire Safety
Fire, on college campuses, claims lives and causes an extensive amount of property damage. Most lives can be saved by using common sense in a fire emergency.
The University of Louisville urges you to follow these practical steps to protect yourself while working, living, or learning on campus.
Basic Fire Safety Survival Tips:
- Sleep with bedroom doors closed: closed doors provide protection against heat and smoke.
- Teach everyone in your household to recognize the sound of your smoke alarm.
- Test doors before opening them with the back of your hand. If it is hot, do not open.
- Use windows as alternative exits.
- Crawl low under smoke.
- Call the fire department.
- If your clothes catch fire: Stop, Drop, and Roll.
- Cool a burn with cool running water.