Fire on college campuses claim lives and cause an extensive amount of property damage each year
Buildings can be rebuilt, but the loss of a life can never be replaced.
The University of Louisville urges you to use common sense and follow these practical steps to protect yourself while working, learning and living in University facilities.
Basic Fire Safety Survival Tips:
- Sleep with bedroom doors closed: closed doors provide protection against heat and smoke.
- Teach everyone in your household to recognize the sound of your smoke alarm.
- Test doors before opening them with the back of your hand. If it is hot, do not open.
- If located on the ground level, consider using a window as an alternative escape route.
- Crawl low under smoke.
- Exit the facility immediately and dial 911 once outside to alert authorities.
- If your clothes catch fire: Stop, Drop, and Roll.
- Cool a burn with cool running water.