Oleg Barski, PhD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Tel.: (502) 852-5724
Dr. Barski received a M.Sc. in Chemistry in 1987 and a Ph.D. in Chemical Kinetics and Catalysis in 1991 at the Chemical Department, Moscow State University, Russia.
Dr. Barski is studying the link between metabolism and electrical activity of the cell via the beta subunits of voltage-gated potassium channels (Kvβ). Beta subunits belong to the aldo-keto reductase superfamily and possess high affinity to pyridine nucleotides and catalytic activity with carbonyl substrates. The object of the study is to explore the connection between the oxidoreductase properties of the beta subunit and potassium channel conductance, which allows beta subunit to perform its function of metabolic sensor for potassium channels.
- Kilfoil PJ, Tipparaju SM, Barski OA, Bhatnagar A. Regulation of ion channels by pyridine nucleotides. Circ Res. 2013 Feb 15;112(4):721-41. doi: 10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.111.247940.
- Barski OA, Mindnich R, Penning TM. Alternative splicing in the aldo-keto reductase superfamily: Implications for protein nomenclature. Chem Biol Interact. 2013 Feb 25;202(1-3):153-8. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2012.12.012. Epub 2013 Jan 5.
- Xie Z, Baba SP, Sweeney BR, Barski OA. Detoxification of aldehydes by histidine-containing dipeptides: From chemistry to clinical implications. Chem Biol Interact. 2013 Feb 25;202(1-3):288-97. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2012.12.017. Epub 2013 Jan 9.
- Tipparaju SM, Li XP, Kilfoil PJ, Xue B, Uversky VN, Bhatnagar A, Barski OA. Interactions between the C-terminus of Kv1.5 and Kvβ regulate pyridine nucleotide-dependent changes in channel gating. Pflugers Arch. 2012 Jun;463(6):799-818. Epub 2012 Mar 17.
- Vladykovskaya E, Ozhegov E, Hoetker JD, Xie Z, Ahmed Y, Suttles J, Srivastava S, Bhatnagar A, Barski OA. Reductive metabolism increases the proinflammatory activity of aldehyde phospholipids. J Lipid Res. 2011 Dec;52(12):2209-25. Epub 2011 Sep 27.
- Vladykovskaya E, Sithu SD, Haberzettl P, Wickramasinghe NS, Merchant ML, Hill BG, McCracken J, Agarwal A, Dougherty S, Gordon SA, Schuschke DA, Barski OA, O'Toole T, D'Souza SE, Bhatnagar A, Srivastava S. Lipid peroxidation product 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal causes endothelial activation by inducing endoplasmic reticulum stress. J Biol Chem. 2012 Mar 30;287(14):11398-409. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M111.320416. Epub 2012 Jan 6.
- Salabei JK, Li XP, Petrash JM, Bhatnagar A, Barski OA. Functional expression of novel human and murine AKR1B genes. Chem Biol Interact. 2011 May 30;191(1-3):177-84. Epub 2011 Jan 27.
- Wetzelberger K, Baba SP, Thirunavukkarasu M, Ho YS, Maulik N, Barski OA, Conklin DJ, Bhatnagar A. Postischemic deactivation of cardiac aldose reductase: role of glutathione S-transferase P and glutaredoxin in regeneration of reduced thiols from sulfenic acids. J Biol Chem. 2010 Aug 20;285(34):26135-48. Epub 2010 Jun 10.
- Srivastava S, Vladykovskaya E, Barski OA, Spite M, Kaiserova K, Petrash JM, Chung SS, Hunt G, Dawn B, Bhatnagar A. Aldose reductase protects against early atherosclerotic lesion formation in apolipoprotein E-null mice. Circ Res. 2009 Oct 9;105(8):793-802. Epub 2009 Sep 3.
- Baba SP, Barski OA, Ahmed Y, O'Toole TE, Conklin DJ, Bhatnagar A, Srivastava S. Reductive metabolism of AGE precursors: a metabolic route for preventing AGE accumulation in cardiovascular tissue. Diabetes. 2009 Nov;58(11):2486-97. Epub 2009 Aug 3.
- Barski OA, Tipparaju SM, Bhatnagar A. The aldo-keto reductase superfamily and its role in drug metabolism and detoxification. Drug Metab Rev. 2008;40(4):553-624.
- Barski OA, Papusha VZ, Ivanova MM, Rudman DM, Finegold MJ. Developmental expression and function of aldehyde reductase in proximal tubules of the kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005 Jul;289(1):F200-7. Epub 2005 Mar 15.