Beginning in the Fall 2009 semester, UofL is participating in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program. The Direct Loan Program is when eligible students borrow directly from the federal government. Direct Loans include unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans, Direct Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans, and Direct Consolidation Loans. You repay these loans directly to the U.S. Department of Education.
Effective July 1, 2012, there are no longer subsidized Stafford loans for Graduate/Professional students.
For more information about the specific loans, please review the information listed below.
Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
- Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are not based on financial need. However, your award cannot exceed your cost of attendance.
- You are charged interest on an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan while you are in school or other nonpayment period. You can pay the interest during those times, or you can have it added to your principal (capitalized).
- Depending on need, loan limits and year in school, the maximum amount of Unsubsidized Stafford Loan you can receive each year of medical school ranges from $42,722 to $47,167.
General Direct Stafford Loan Information
- The maximum aggregate amount of Unsubsidized Stafford Loans you can receive each year of medical school is $42,722 for M1, $44,944 for M2, $47,167 for M3 and $42,722 for M4.
- You will be awarded the full Stafford Loan amount unless you are at the aggregate limit of $224,000 or have other aid up to the Cost of Attendance.
- The 2015-15 interest rate for Unsubsidized Stafford Loans is fixed at 6.21%.
- The maximum aggregate amount of Subsidized Stafford Loans and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans combined you can receive as a student, including undergraduate, graduate and professional school, is $224,000.
- Repayment on all Stafford Loans begins six months (grace period) after you graduate or drop below half-time status.
- A 1.072% origination fee is charged at disbursement.
- The maximum amount of Grad PLUS Loans you can receive is the cost of attendance minus all other aid received (Stafford, scholarships, etc.).
- The Grad PLUS Loan is awarded only after all Stafford Loan eligibility is awarded.
- You are charged interest on Grad PLUS Loans while you are in school.
- The 2014-15 interest rate for Grad PLUS loans is fixed at 7.21%.
- A 4.288% origination fee is charged at disbursement.
- Repayment on all Grad PLUS Loans begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. However, a student can request an in-school deferment.
- Parental data is required to be considered for PCL or LDS.
- Need based loans.
- Primary Care Loan requires specific primary care residencies to practice.
- 5% simple interest loan that does not accrue interest during school and approved deferment periods.
- Sign PCL or LDS promissory note on-line under the Bursar's office tab.
- Contact Financial Aid at the School of Medicine if you have questions or you are interested in being considered for PCL or LDS loans.
Below, are a few of the loan repayment plans available to medical students. Click on the links for more information about each plan.