connect with us via:
April 2014: Global Health
Think globally about your health this month: Start with a change of perspective, add in a few new activities, a shift in your thinking, and one big celebration. Find out how GHN can help you get moving in the direction of a life well lived. It's in you!
- Save the Date: Kick off your Derby celebration with GHN! Join us to celebrate the one year anniversary of the Get Healthy Now Wellness Center at Humana Gym! Bet you it will be the most fun you've had all Spring! Save the date for Friday, April 25th. RSVP via Facebook. Check UofL Today and watch your inbox for more information.
- Celebrate National Walking Day: Get Healthy Now and the American Heart Association invite you to celebrate National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 2, 2014. Participate in National Walking Day by lacing up your sneakers and taking a 10 minute walking break today! Invite your boss, colleagues, or family to join you. Over time, build these 'microbursts' into your daily activities and voila: before long you'll see how easy it is to make physical activity part of your day. Learn more: AHA Warm Weather Guide.
- Celebrate National Public Health week during April 7-13, which kicks off with World Health Day. National Public Health Week helps educate and engage Americans in the movement to create a healthier America for ourselves and the generations to come, and raise awareness about health issues that impact our global community. UofL's School of Public Health and Information Sciences will host a week full of events highlighting the value of supporting prevention and how you can think globally about your own personal health while creating a legacy of wellbeing for future generation.
- Learn to do all your daily tasks, even eating, with mindfulness. A new Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction session starts April 1- learn more and enroll today.
- Weigh to Wellness II: Enjoy a program dedicated to those who are maintaining weight loss or looking for additional support for weight maintenance. Sessions held on Tuesdays, April 8th - June 24th, 12:00-12:45 p.m. at the GHN Wellness Center. Learn more>>
- GHN is on Facebook and sharing healthy recipe ideas on the regular. Like us to learn more!
- 10 Meal Planning and Shopping Tips: Get back to the healthy basics with eating this spring.
- Live What You Love: Experience positive energy and positive results for your wellness goals as you participate in GHN’s Group Wellness Coaching. You will design and implement an action plan to live the future of your dreams. Meets Wednesdays at 12 noon beginning April 16th in the in Center for Health Promotion & Prevention Science Conference Room in the Student Services Annex on the Belknap Campus. Register here>>>
- Yoga and Pilates at the GHN Wellness Center: Refresh your body and mind with these inspiring offerings. Enjoy the best value on campus - unlimited access all semester for only $40. Free trial April 1-4
- Mind the Medical Gap: Get Healthy Now and the Great Places to Work Work-Life Balance Committee launched the Caregiving series for employees who care for a grand/child, parent, relative, or friend. The month's workshop, presented by Karen M. Robinson PhD, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN from the School of Nursing. Learn more.
- Relay for Life: UofL’s American Cancer Society student group invites all faculty, staff and UofL community to battle against cancer at the eighth annual Relay for Life fundraiser. There will be fun, family-friendly activities such as a hypnotist performance, student booths and dance parties. If you can’t make it to the walk, purchase a luminaria for just $10 to honor a loved one with cancer. The luminarias will be lit at the overnight event during the Luminaria Ceremony. Contact Tressa Neal, 560-6042.
- Flourish – Increase Your Happiness in Minutes! We know you are busy, so we created a mini session just for YOU. Get caught having fun in this innovative Take 20 session with like-minded colleagues; you deserve this energizing break. Register now!
- Fri. 4/11 12:30-12:50 p.m., (B) University Club
- Fri. 4/18 12:30-12:50 p.m., (HSC) School of Public Health – 485 East Gray St., Room 103
- Condition Management Offerings:
- The Get Healthy Now Wellness Center is your one-stop-wellness shop! Fitness and wellness classes, state-of-the-art equipment, fully refinished locker rooms, and NO monthly membership fees for UofL employees!
- Located at 601 Presidents Blvd: Directions
- Complete the Enrollment Packet [pdf] and bring with you when you first visit the facility.
- New this month:
- The GHN Wellness Center will be closed on Sunday, April 20th due to the Easter holiday.
- Check out the April Group Fitness Calendar
- Gain Core Power with Pilates: Try it out for free between April 1 – 4!
- No more ifs, ohms, or butts during class...Enjoy the coziness and privacy in Studio B with our newly installed drapes!
- First Friday Line Dancing Event for faculty and staff is back! Sponsored by GHN and the Great Places to Work Campus-Climate Committee
- Top Gunz and Ab Lab are back: Now a combined class to get in a quick upper body and core workout to tone your arms, shoulders, and core muscles.
- Congratulations to Courtney Gagel for being recognized as Member of the Month! Courtney works as a Program Coordinator, Sr. for the Speed Office of Academic Affairs, and loves attending/watching Louisville Basketball and Football games! Check out her Member of the Month profile at the Get Healthy Now Wellness Center.
- Guest Passes Now Available: Treat out of town guests (ages 18+) to a day of wellness! $5/day or $20/wk.
- Walk to Run Club: The starting line grows near for the Louisville Mini/Marathon which takes place in mid-April.
- GHN is cheering on our Walk-to-Run Club and an inspiring unit from HSC who are running the Triple Crown and mini/Marathon together! Three cheers for this inspiring UofL Team working on the NIH R15 Grant: Dr. Cynthia Logsdon, Kristin Baisch, Kayla Jones, and Elizabeth Rose have decided that they are going to act on their New Year’s Resolution of getting fit and healthy. Read their story and get inspired!
- Get caught having fun! Laura Feese, Certified Aquatic Instructor with 25+ years of experience, leads a progressive water work-out for GHN’s Water Fitness classes. No swimming skills needed (hair can stay dry or not). Benefits include increased energy, better sleeping, relief from joint pain and more. Enroll today!
- Group Bike Ride: Get Healthy Now is organizing fun monthly group bike rides to campus from various locations around town. All staff, faculty, and students are welcome to ride. All experience levels welcome and all riders will receive a brief orientation and Louisville bike map. Participants must provide their own bicycle and accessories (helmet required). April’s ride will meet on Rundill Road at Iroquois Park, and proceed to the Belknap Campus. Pre-registration waiver required.
- Kentucky Derby Zumba Fitness Party: The Kentucky Derby Festival presents the 3rd annual Zumba Fitness Party! Join some of your favorite Zumba instructors in KY and IN for an evening of movin', groovin' and fun on Friday, April 25 from 6-8:00pm at Waterfront Park. Admission is free with a Pegaus pin and all ages and ability levels are invited to attend. We are happy to have the Community Foundation of Louisville as our Signature Sponsor and hope you will support their upcoming Give Local Louisville Day!
- Ali Shuffle 5k: Walk, run or volunteer for fitness, peace and community April 5, 2014 in the third Annual Ali Shuffle.
- April Educational Opportunities:
- "Clap along if you know what happiness is to you!" UofL Employees across our three campuses danced to the rhythm of their own happiness! See the videos...sure to make you smile!
- 10 Global Health Issues to Watch in 2014
- Create a sustainable future for UofL: Reduce your carbon footprint on Mother Earth with ideas your learn during UofL's Sustainability Week, March 31-April 4.
- Planning an exotic adventure abroad for Summer 2014? Visit the UofL Vaccine and Travel Center to ensure you're fully prepared. Visit their webpage>>
- Imagine your life in 10 years: What actions will lead you down the path of your desired future?
We look forward to providing you with insightful monthly highlights & happenings to assist you in championing your health all year long!