SubscribeGet our weekly newsletter delivered to your inbox. Click here!
- June 24 News: NRMN Mentoring Study, Meet SURP student Gemma Sanders, New NIH program for URM and At-Risk Investigators + a whole lot more!
- June 17 News: TIME AND SPACE RUNNING OUT for NGS22!, KYNETIC Product Development Grants, Meet SURP student Lexie Hopkins + a whole lot more!
- June 10 News: NIH Admin Supplement All of Us Research Data, Meet SURP student JT Dials, Several training, workshop, conference opportunities + a whole lot more!
- June 3 News: NEW KY Essentials of Next Gen Sequencing Virtual Workshop June 27-30, Meet SURP student Maame Dei, NCURA Virtual Contracting Workshop + a whole lot more! + a whole lot more!
- May 27 News: NEW NIH NOSI on Maternal Health, Meet SURP student Sarah Cayton, NIH S10 Instrumentation Grants apps due next week + a whole lot more!
- May 20 News: Free* Omics Online Training for IDeA States, Meet SURP student Mason Boone, KY INBRE researchers accolades + a whole lot more!
- May 13 News: NIH invites comments on a new diversity prize competition, Meet SURP student Alex Firmin, MoSU student award winners + a whole lot more!
- May 6 News: KY INBRE funds >$1M for biomed research in KY, Meet SURP student Nicholas Johnson (WKU), Congrats WKU Brausch grads + a whole lot more!
- April 29 News: Participate in NIH #FaceOfScience social media campaign, Meet WKU’s Briana Harness, AAAS needs your feedback, PLUS hiring, deadlines + a whole lot more!
- April 22 News: NIH SciEd 2022, Meet KY INBRE 2022 SURP student: Madeline Hamilton, NIGMS IDeA Clinical Research Center, PLUS hiring, deadlines + a whole lot more!
- April 15 News: DEADLINE TODAY (April 15) to apply for KY INBRE Genomics Training; NIGMS Admin Supplement for Women’s Health, NIH RFI + a whole lot more!
- April 8 News: KY INBRE EM Workshop, 2 NIGMS Supplements – for Master’s Degree students and for Women’s Health, New NIH Scientific Data Sharing Website + a whole lot more!
- April 1 News: KY INBRE Summer Genomics Training Workshop, Last Virtual Seminar next week, <*)))))>< Midwest Zebrafish Conference + a whole lot more!
- March 25 News: Government transitioning away from DUNS, National Academy of Medicine Burnout Webinar and Awards info, 2 Sponsored Projects Administration Workshops + a whole lot more!
- March 18 News: SBIR/STTR Readiness Program for HBCUs and MSIs, KY INBRE at Posters-at-the-Capital, Omics Poster Competition (prizes!) + a whole lot more!
- March 11 News: NIGMS IDeA Co-Funding, NIH Webinar for U-RISE and MARC T34 Programs, Student funding opp, Grant Writing Training + a whole lot more!
- March 4 News: Lectureship grant for PUIs, 2 KY INBRE supported faculty at Morehead State receive NIH funding, Clinical Genomics poster opportunity + a whole lot more!
- February 25 News: KY INBRE Retirement Announcement, NEW NIH Postbac Program and Admin Supplement, apply for Grant Writing Coaching + a whole lot more!
- February 18 News: KY INBRE Summer Research Apps due TODAY!, NEW KY INBRE Grant Writing Resources, NIH Undergrad Scholarship (up to $20K!) + a whole lot more!
- February 11 News: KY INBRE Summer Research Apps due NEXT FRIDAY!, NIGMS Admin Supplements for Equipment Purchases, FREE Bioinformatics Training + funding, hiring and a whole lot more!
- February 4 News: FREE Bioinformatics and Data Science Training, KY INBRE Virtual Seminar next week, NIGMS Admin Supplements + funding, hiring and a whole lot more!
- January 28 News: Application Deadline Extended – KY INBRE Summer Undergrad Research Program | Nat’l Big Data Health Science Conference + Fellowships, grants and a whole lot more!
- January 21 News: And the award goes to… KY INBRE recent award recipients | 💃 🕺 Dance Your PhD Competition + Fellowships, grants and a whole lot more!
- January 14 News: Apply Now – KYNETIC Product Development Grant | Virtual Seminar Series Next Week | We’re Hiring! + a whole lot more!
- Dec 17 Newsletter: Happy Holidays from KY INBRE | Funding and EM Vouchers deadlines extended | We’re Hiring! + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- December 10 Newsletter: NIH $1M prize competition for maternal health diagnostics | Several student opportunities | KY INBRE Funding/Summer Research Opps + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- December 3 Newsletter: PhD Student App – COMPBIO22 in Malaysia | KY INBRE Virtual Seminar Series NEXT WEEK | KY INBRE Funding/Summer Research Opps + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- November 24 Newsletter: INBRE Admin Supplement for Building Cloud-Based Learning Modules | AHA Career Development Award | KY INBRE Funding/Summer Research Opps + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- November 19 Newsletter: Registration Now OPEN! – KY INBRE Summer Undergrad Research Programs | SE Regional IDeA Conf follow-up | KY INBRE Funding Opps + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- November 12 Newsletter: Ford Foundation Dissertation, Predoc and Postdoc Fellowships | Join CUR in Nov and save 30% | KY INBRE Funding Opps + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- November 5 Newsletter: 2021 NIH Rural Health Day Seminar | Next Week: KY INBRE Virtual Seminar Series, SE Regional IDeA Conf | KY INBRE IDeA Award LOI due 11/15 + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- October 29 Newsletter: NIH Program Funding & Grants Administration Seminar NEXT WEEK | SE Regional Conference Updates | Motivational Resource | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- October 22 Newsletter: KY INBRE Call for Proposals: Electron Microscopy | AWS Online Tech Talk | NIH Webinars | Student Spotlight + a whole lot more!
- October 15 Newsletter: NIGMS IDeA Regional Entrepreneurship Development Program | Seminar Series this Weds, Oct 20! | KY INBRE Funding Opps | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- October 8 Newsletter: KY INBRE Funding Opps | NIH Notices | VentureWell Faculty $30K Course & Program Grants | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- October 1 Newsletter: NM INBRE/NCGR Fall Bioinformatics Workshops | KY INBRE Seminar Series next week | SE Regional Virtual Registration | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- September 24 Newsletter: NIH AWS/Google Cloud Computing Training | Now Registering: Grant Writing Workshop | Proteomics Voucher Program | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- September 17 Newsletter: Save the Date: NCUR 2022 | Virtual Seminar Series on Weds, Sept 24 | Now Registering: Grant Writing Workshop | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- September 10 Newsletter: KY INBRE Virtual Grant Writing Workshop | SE IDeA Regional Abstracts Deadline Extended | New NIH Natural Products Resource | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- September 3 Newsletter: KY INBRE Virtual Seminar Series starts next week | Lots of NIH Notices | Meeting opportunities | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- August 27 Newsletter: KY INBRE investigator featured by ACS | Travel Award Winners | New NIH FOAs and Webinars | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- August 20 Newsletter: New! KY INBRE Virtual Seminar Series | Save the Date: NIH Virtual Seminar on Program Funding & Grants Administration | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- August 13 Newsletter: KY INBRE Travel Award Apps due MONDAY | NIH Cloud Computing Workshop | Omics Research Symposium | Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- August 6 Newsletter: New login requirements for eRA and NCBI | IDeA Proteomics Workshop and Internships | KY INBRE Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- July 30 Newsletter: KY INBRE SURP Poster Day at 12 noon TODAY! | RFI: NIH Women’s Health Conference | KY INBRE Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- July 23 Newsletter: Let us send you to Puerto Rico - see how! | Running out of time to apply: NGS Workshop | KY INBRE Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines & lots more!
- July 16 Newsletter: NIH AIM-AHEAD Program | Now registering: KY INBRE Next Gen Sequencing Workshop | KY INBRE Student Spotlight + Hiring, deadlines and lots more!
- July 9 Newsletter: KYNETIC grants and training available | Now registering: KY INBRE-sponsored Essentials of Next Gen Sequencing Workshop + Hiring, deadlines and lots more!
- July 2 Newsletter: Core Service Voucher Opportunity | NIH Workshop: Pain for People with Sickle Cell | IDeA Regional Meetings | Hiring, deadlines and lots more!
- June 25 Newsletter: National GEM Consortium Fellowships | CUR Upcoming Opportunities | IDeA Regional Opportunities | Hiring, deadlines and lots more!
- June 18 Newsletter: AREA R15 Grant | Free Cancer Diagnostics and Treatment Webinar | New Computational Neuroscience FOA | Hiring, deadlines and lots more!
- June 11 Newsletter: Abstract Submission now open for NIH Nutrition Health Disparities Workshop | Save the Dates| Hiring, deadlines and lots more!
- June 4 Newsletter: NIH Bridge2AI upcoming events | Meet the EAT Lab | NRMN new webinar series | Cloud computing credits| Lots more!
- May 28 Newsletter: SEIDeA21 website online | Congrats to WKU grads | NIH Bridge2AI Data Generation Projects| Lots more!
- May 21 Newsletter: NIGMS IDeA-wide Town Hall Meeting | Changes to KY INBRE EM Core| Lots more!
- May 14 Newsletter: Natural Products Research Virtual Symposium II | Health Disparities Codeathon | NEED YOUR PIX!| Lots more!
- May 7 Newsletter: MS Health Disparities Conference | NIH Collaboratory Workshop Series | Need your 📷| Lots more!
- April 30 Newsletter: NIH Career Symposium Next Week | NIH STRIDES Initiative (Cloud Computing)| Lots more!
- April 23 Newsletter: KY INBRE and COBRE Collaboration | Code@Thon apps due today! | Picture a Scientist free viewing| Lots more!
- April 16 Newsletter: 2 NEW NIH Programs | How to Teach Biomedical Engineers Physiology | Award announcements| Lots more!
- April 9 Newsletter: List of Resources to help your research | MSU student wins award | Info Webinars | Registration open for HHS Small Business Program| Lots more!
- April 2 Newsletter: EKY undergrad wins Goldwater Scholarship | KY INBRE summer students announced | NIH Upcoming Changes notice | Lots more!
- March 26 Newsletter: Screening Opportunity: Picture a Scientist | Air Force Opp for HBCUs/MSIs | NIH NOSIs | Lots more!
- March 19 Newsletter: Data Science Opportunities | Congrats to 2 NKU students | Virtual Poster Session | Virtual Job Fair | Lots more!
- March 12 Newsletter: NRMN Grant Writing Webinar | Lot of NIH NOSIs | Data Science for Science Teachers Boot Camp | Lots more!
- March 5 Newsletter: Women’s Cardiovascular and Brain Health Research Symposium | Congrats to… | Learn about developing a research plan | Lots more!
- February 26 Newsletter: Virtual M-CELS Workshop | NOSI: SBIR/STTR Maternal Health | NRMN Grant Writing Coaching | Lots more!
- February 19 Newsletter: Save the Date: 2021 SE Regional IDeA Conference | KY Black Scientists on top 1,000 inspirational list | NSF REU Undergrad Opportunity | Lots more!
- February 12 Newsletter: NIGMS Admin Supplement for IDeA Collaborations | Undergrad Summer Research Program apps due ON MONDAY! | Lots more opportunities and deadlines!
- February 5 Newsletter: Research published Internationally | Bioinformatics Intensive | Undergrad Summer Research Program apps due in 10 days! | Lots more opportunities and deadlines!
- January 29 Newsletter: Lots of student opportunities | Proteomics Free Voucher Program | Judges needed | Lots more opportunities and deadlines!
- January 22 Newsletter: NIH Webinar on Monday | Undergrad Summer Research Opp | Free Symposiums/Conferences | Lots more opportunities and deadlines!
- January 15 Newsletter: Natural Products Research Virtual Symposium | Undergrad Summer Research Opp | Closed Monday for MLKJr Day | Lots more opportunities and deadlines!
- January 8 Newsletter: Summer Undergrad Research Program | Virtual Proteomics Symposium and Workshops | Lots more opportunities and deadlines!
- December 18 Newsletter: 3 KY INBRE Award Deadlines due 5 pm TODAY; Change in NIGMS Program; Challenge to award $100K in prizes; and More!
- December 11 Newsletter: Researcher receives R15 funding; NEW NIH Diversity Program; GSA Leadership Program; and More!
- received an NIH R15 award for eating disorder research
- December 4 Newsletter: Meet Dr. Rachel Tinius; KY INBRE grant opportunities; Dance your PhD; and More!
- received second consecutive NIGMS Supplement Funding
- Nov 20, 2020: Alexey Arkov, Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences, and Samuel Tindell at Murray State University and Eric Rouchka from the Computer Science and Engineering Department at the University of Louisville have recently been published in Communications Biology. Data from the publication includes libraries/sequencing done in the UofL Genomics Core. View the article here.
- November 20 Newsletter: Lots of Twofers: 2 voucher opportunities. 2 summer undergrad opportunities. 2 days that our office will be closed.
- November 13 Newsletter: Welcome to our NEW Newsletter!
- May 6, 2020: Bikram Subedi, Assistant Professor in the Chemistry Department at Murray State University, is being published in the journal Environmental Sciences and Technology. Dr. Sebedi is a KBRIN IDeA grant awardee. View the article here: regarding the prevalence of synthetic cathinones, synthetic cannabinoids, and synthetic opiods in US communities, based on wastewater analysis.
- December 1, 2019: Bikram Subedi, Assistant Professor in the Cehemistry Department at Murray State University, is being published in The Journal of Hazardous Materials. Dr. Sebedi is a KBRIN IDeA grant awardee. View the Elsevier article "Prevalence of illicit and prescribed neuropsychiatric drugs in three communities in Kentucky using wastewater-based epidemiology and Monte Carlo simulation for the estimation of associated uncertainties."
- November 8, 2019: Kiahra Burns, received 2nd place at the 2019 Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting in the Cellular and Molecular Biology section. Kiahra Burns was a 2019 KBRIN Summer Undergraduate Biomedical Research Program attendee.
- November 8, 2019: Haley Todd, received 3rd place at the 2019 Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting in the Cellular and Molecular Biology section. Haley Todd was a 2019 KBRIN Summer Undergraduate Biomedical Research Program attendee.
- September 13, 2019: A grant from KBRIN has funded renovations to the biomedical laboratories of Associate Professor of Biology Dr. Kurt Gibbs (researching spinal cord regeneration) and Assistant Professor of Biology Melissa Mefford (researching telomeres and telomerase). Learn more
- August, 2019: Dr. Rachel Tinius, Assistant Professor of Exercise Science at Western Kentucky University, received an INBRE-award from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) to address obesity and physical inactivity in pregnant and postpartum women. Dr. Tinius will collaborate with Dr. Nancy Schoenberg from the University of Kentucky COBRE program to develop and test a mobile health application to increase physical activity and improve weight status during and after pregnancy.
- June, 2019: Justin Yates, NKU Assistant Professor awarded an (NIH) Academic Research Enhancement Award (R15) for his work on “Contribution of NMDA NR2B Subunit to Risky Choice and Economic Demand for Cocaine.” Read abstract and the award details
- May, 2019: Chris Curran, NKU Assistant Professor awarded an (NIH) Academic Research Enhancement Award (R15) for her work on “Genetic Susceptibility to Developmental Benzo[A]pyrene Neurotoxicity." Read abstract and the award details
- April 2019: Alexey Arkov, PhD (Murray State University) Receives R01 award with Co-PI Jeremy Lynch, PhD of University of Illinois at Chicago. The award is for their study titled "Novel insights from a divergent form of germ plasm." This grant is one of only a very few awarded to a PI from a Kentucky regional university. Dr. Arkov is a member of the KBRIN Leadership Committee and a past recipient of IDeA funding from KBRIN.
- August, 2018: KBRIN-IDeA funded project has been highlighted in press release from the American Chemical Society (ACS). Bikram Subedi, PhD, Assistant Professor of Analytical Chemistry at Murray State University, has had his research highlighted in several periodicals. Read ACS Article or view all highlights.
- August 13, 2018: EKU's Dr. Lindsay Calderon, associate professor of biological sciences, and Dr. Margaret Ndinguri, associate professor of chemistry, received a a U.S. patent, with 15 claims approved, for their discovery of a chemical compound that better targets specific types of reproductive cancer tumors. Learn More
- November 4, 2018: Samuel White, 2017 KBRIN Summer Research Program participant and student at Murray State University awarded First Place for his oral presentation at the Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting. The research is entitled "Courtship behavior, communication, and copulation in Tigrosa annexa."
- November 4, 2018: Kristen Miller, KBRIN Summer Research Program participant and student at WKU awarded First Place for her poster presentation at the Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting. Read about her project here.
- May, 2018: Michael Guy, NKU Assistant Professor awarded an (NIH) Academic Research Enhancement Award (R15) for his work on “Identification of novel human tRNA modification genes.” Read more about this research and the award details
- April, 2018: Samantha Carlisle is co-organizer of a local R Ladies Global chapter. The community is designed to develop members' R skills & knowledge through social, collaborative learning & sharing. Supporting minority identity access to STEM skills & careers, the Free Software Movement, and contributing to the global R community.Samantha is a doctoral candidate in Pharmacology and Toxicology and a long-time member of the KBRIN Bioinformatics Journal Club
- February 6, 2018: FUNDING AWARD! Eric Rouchka, KBRIN's Director of Bioinformatics Core and Co-PI Sujata Saraswat Ohri received funding from The Center for Restorative Spinal Cord Medicine for their pilot project "Role of Circadian Rhythm in SCI Pathogenesis." KBRIN's Julia Chariker, KBRIN's Networks and Data Visualization specialist, will participate.
- February 6, 2018: Justin Yates, PhD, is the 2018 APA Division 28 Young Psychopharmacologist Award which honors a young scientist doing original, meritorious work in psychopharmacology and encourages excellence in research at the interface between the disciplines of pharmacology and psychology. This is his second APA award this year. Dr. Yates is currently a KBRIN-IDeA Pilot Research Awardee. He will speak at this year’s convention of the American Psychological Association in San Francisco, CA (August 9-12).
- January 10, 2018: Justin Yates, PhD, is the 2018 recipient of the B. F. Skinner Foundation New Researcher Award in the area of basic research. Dr. Yates, an assistant professor in the Department of Psychological Science at NKU, has been working in experimental analysis of behavior. He is currently a KBRIN-IDeA Pilot Research Awardee. He has been invited to speak at this year’s convention of the American Psychological Association in San Francisco, CA (August 9-12).
November, 2017: Kandis Arlinghaus and Morgan Bahnsen, were awardees at the recent Kentucky Academy of Science Annual Meeting in the areas of Health Sciences and Cellular & Molecular Biology, respectively. Both were participants in the 2017 KBRIN Summer Undergraduate Biomedical Research Program. Watch videos about their research and experiences
- November, 2017: 2016 KBRIN Summer Undergraduate Biomedical Research Program participant Austin Parker is to be published in a peer-reviewed publication. With mentor and co-author Dr. Michal Hetman, their paper "Ribosomal stress and Tp53-mediated neuronal apoptosis in response to capsid protein of the Zika virus" will be published in Scientific Reports - Nature. Austin describes his research and program experiences in this video.
- September 21, 2017: NSF Award: Lili Ma, PhD, Associate Professor of Chemistry at NKU and past KBRIN IDeA Awardee has received a three-year $242,979 grant for her research work, “Unusual Oxidation and Domino Reactions via Palladium-catalyzed alpha-Heteroarylation of Ketones.” Read announcement on NKU website.
- September 13, 2017: NIH R15 Awarded to Juw Won Park, PhD for his project "Detecting and characterizing circular RNA's using high-throughput sequencing data." Dr. Park serves on the KBRIN Bioinformatics Core Staff as the RNA sequencing analysis specialist.
- September, 2017: Samantha Carlisle is co-organizer of a local R Ladies Global chapter. The community is designed to develop members' R skills & knowledge through social, collaborative learning & sharing. Supporting minority identity access to STEM skills & careers, the Free Software Movement, and contributing to the global R community.Samantha is a doctoral candidate in Pharmacology and Toxicology and a long-time member of the KBRIN Bioinformatics Journal Club
- Aug 9, 2017: KBRIN-funded Dr. Janelle Hare, biology professor at Morehead State University was honored with the Distinguished Researcher award at Morehead State University. Read more
- June, 2017: Janelle Hare, PhD has just received her 3rd NIH R15 award. The KBRIN-funded researcher at Morehead University received her award for her research on "Mechanisms of Action of UmuD in Regulating DNA Damage-Induced Genes in a umuC-Deficient Bacterium."
- June, 2017: KBRIN-funded Morehead State University professor Katy Carlson has just received her 2nd NIH R15 award. This award is for her ongoing work on Accents and Syntactic Attachment.
- May, 2017: Former KBRIN IDEA and R15 awardee Chris Curran has been elected Vice President of the Teratology Society. She will serve as President of the Society in 2019. Congratulations, Dr. Curran!
- April 21-23, 2017: 16th UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit was held at Montgomery Bell State Park in Burns, Tennessee.
- December, 2016: ADVANCEMENT: Maha Soliman, PhD, new Assistant Professor, Texas Womens's University The KBRIN staff member and researcher completed her postdoctoral work in Neuroscience Training. Congratulations, Maha!
- Sep 21, 2016: Noah Ashley, PhD, receives R15 Award The WKU Assistant Professor was awarded over $400,000 for his research project "Sympathetic Regulation of Inflammation from Sleep Fragmentation."
- October, 2016: Ben Harrison, PhD, advances to Assistant Professor, Biomedical Science Department of the University of New England The KBRIN staff member and researcher completed his postdoctoral training at the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center. Congratulations, Ben!
- MAY 21, 2016: Emily Yocom and Jacob Sifers publish paper 2015 KBRIN Undergraduate Summer Research Program participants are published in the Journal of Comparative Physiology titled "Modulatory effects on Drosophila larva hearts: room temperature, acute and chronic cold stress." Learn More
- APR 14, 2016: KBRIN-Funded researchers discover role of protein in neuron sprouting Benjamin Harrison, Ph.D (lead author), Jeffrey Petruska, PhD and Eric Rouchka, D.Sc., are among authors of an article featured in The Journal of Neuroscience. Their research into the role of adaptor protein CD2AP in neuron sprouting could lead to therapies for Alzheimer’s disease, stroke recovery and spinal cord injury and was partially funded by KBRIN grants. Read more. (pictured at right: Ben Harrison, Jeffrey Petruska and Kristofer Rau)
APR 8-10, 2016: 15th UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summitwas held at lake Barkley State Park in Cadiz, Kentucky.
- FEB 24, 2016: Mark Bardgett, PhD, receives an NIH R-15 award Dr. Bardgett, a professor in the Department of Psychological Sciences at Northern Kentucky University and KBRIN Bridge Awardee, received his award from the National Institute on Drug Abuse for his study "Long-term effects of early-life antipsychotic drug treatment".
March 13, 2016: NKU Undergraduate Research Leads to National Travel Awards: The Pfizer award was presented to Jamie Weimerof Northern Kentucky University at the Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. She is the third KBRIN-supported undergraduate in the Curran lab to receive a Pfizer Award. The award is based on academic and research excellence. Jamie also received Second Place for Best Oral Presentation at the 2015 Kentucky Academy of Science meeting.
Kelsey Klinefelter received an SOT Undergraduate Travel Award to present her research at the same meeting. Kelsey has also received an NKU travel fellowship to conduct biomedical research in Sri Lanka in December 2015. Learn More
- November, 2015: Jeffrey Petruska, PhD, received a NIH R01 award Dr. Petruska, of the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Center and a KBRIN-funded researcher, received the funding for his research, "Mechanisms Controlling Distinct Modes of Adult Axon Growth". His team includes Ben Harrison, PhD and Eric Rouchka, D.Sc., of KBRIN. Learn More
- KBRIN-Funded Neuroscience Laboratory has ribbon cutting. Morehead State University’s Department of Psychology held a ceremony Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015 in Reed Hall. KBRIN provided a $250,000 grant for the renovation.Learn More
- SEPT 17, 2015: Cecile Marczinski, PhD, receives new R15 to continue research on the effects of mixing alcohol and energy drinks. Dr. Marczinski is an associate professor at NKU whose research has been cited in recent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) investigations into the safety of alcohol and energy drinks. Learn More
- September 15, 2015: The UofL Bioinformatics Seminar Series and KBRIN presented a bioinformatics seminar with Ben Busby, PhD, from the NIH National Center for Biotechnology Information. The presentation described how NCBI has enhanced several of its genomics resources in the last several months and how some of its public databases can be queried for computational biology and clinical questions. Learn More
- AUG 10-13, 2015: Western Kentucky University 2015 KBRIN Small Genome Discovery Workshop hosted bio faculty from five Kentucky institutions.
- August 1, 2015: Juw Won Park, PhD, joins KBRIN Bioinformatics Core Staff Recently appointed Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Engineering and Computer Science, Dr. Park is providing service and collaboration to the KBRIN Bioinformatics Core. He specializes in RNA Sequencing Analysis. Welcome, Dr. Park! Learn More
AUG 1, 2015: Northern Kentucky University Erin Strome, PhD, assistant professor of biological sciences, was awarded an NIH grant for her project titled “Investigation of Candidate Modifier Loci for Cancer Susceptibility." Learn more
AUG 1, 2015:: Western Kentucky University Michael Smith, PhD, WKU assistant professor of biological sciences and Kevin Williams, PhD, WKU professor of chemistry, were awarded an NIH grant for their project titled “Finding Novel Platinum(II) Complex Anti-Cancer Drugs with Reduced Ototoxicity" Learn more
- MAY 1, 2015: Western Kentucky University Amy Brausch, PhD, assistant professor in the Department of Psychological Sciences, received the Ogden College of Science & Engineering Junior Faculty Research Award at WKU. Learn more
- MAY 1, 2015: Murray State University is now one of KBRIN's Regional Comprehensive Partner/Affiliates with Alexey Arkov, PhD serving as the Murray State University lead faculty member.
- MAR 2015: Dr. Mark Bardgett from Northern Kentucky University was named a 2015 Fellow in the Midwestern Psychological Association. Dr. Bardgett is Professor of Psychology and Director of the Interdisciplinary Minor in Neuroscience at NKU. He also serves as the institutional Lead Faculty representative for NKU as part of the KBRIN.
- MAR 20-22, 2015: 14th UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit was held at Paris Landing State Park Conference Center in Buchanan, Tennessee.
- October 2014 - Janelle Hare, Phd and Travis Witkowski, PhD,, were published in the peer-reviewed journal PLOS ONE. Dr. Hare and Witkowski researched how bacteria sense and repair DNA damage. KBRIN helped to fund this research. More
- Cecille Marczinski, PhD, Associate Professor of Psychology at NKU and KBRIN Awardee has been featured in international and national news this fall. She was elected as a Fellow to the American Psychological Association (APA), was a keynote speaker at a conference in Geelong, Australia, and was featured in an article in The Atlantic. More
Kurt Gibbs, Assistant Professor at Morehead receives NIH R15 Award for his proposal "miRNA expression after spinal cord compression injury in Xenopus laevis," More
Aug 2014 - Yan Zhang, PhD,a member of KBRIN's bioinformatics core, has taken a position as a Post Doc at the University of Maryland Institute for Genome Sciences.
Dr. Nigel Cooper, KY INBRE Program Director, receives 5-year 18.3 million NIH grant award to strengthen Kentucky's infrastructure and capacity for biomedical research. More.
Gabriel Sanders, NKU, has a manuscript accepted and published ahead of print in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research titled "Effects of energy drinks on economy and cardiovascular measures."
WKU researcher shines in “Science Idol” competition — Dr. Jill Maples, an assistant professor in WKU’s Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport was selected as a co-winner in the first ever “Science Idol” competition held at the recent National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Research Excellence in Washington DC. More
JUNE, 2014: IDeA CORE TRAVEL AWARD — Sabine Waigel, UofL Genomics Core Manager, receives IDeA Core Travel Award. The travel award for IDeA-sponsored Core Lab members helps defray the cost of attending the 5th Biennial National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Research Excellence (NISBRE). Sabine Waigel attended the symposium, which was held June 16-18, 2014 in Washington, DC.
2013 - Katy Carlson's KBRIN-Funded Research Receives $350K NIH Grant — for a project titled “Accents and Syntactic Attachment: Exploring how pitch accents affect the resolution of syntactic ambiguities with or without prosodic boundaries.” - Learn more
- OCT 2013: — The October 2013 issue of the Lane Report highlights a KBRIN researcher's study of the growth of cancer cells. Dr. Ajay Srivastava, a WKU biology professor, and his students conduct genetic experiments on the Drosophila species of fruit fly as a model to study how cancer cells metastasize. Read article
- AUG 15-16: Dr.Cecile A. Marczinski associate professor at Northern Kentucky University was invited to speak at a two-day workshop co-sponsored by the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements and multiple NIH institutes. This workshop brought together prominent experts from across the nation to discuss the current knowledge related to the health implications of energy drinks. Dr. Marczinski discussed her research supported by KBRIN and her NIH R15 award, which has made a national impact on both the scientific community and the general public.
APR 11, 2013: KBRIN-Supported NKU Student Shares First Place Award for Poster Competition in the Undergraduate/High School Division at the 2013 Neuroscience Day
- 2013:— Manori Jayasinghe, former postdoc at Northern Kentucky University, has been offered a tenure-track position in the Physics Department at the University of Cincinnati Blue Ash campus.
APR 11, 2013- Neuroscience Day 2013 added a new feature "DATA BLITZ:" a few abstracts from each category were selected for the Data Blitz, a rapid-fire overview of a poster presented to the entire audience at the beginning of Neuroscience Day.
- APR, 2013 - 2011 KBRIN summer student advances: Jordan Olberding, a WKU senior, was accepted into the PhD program at Yale University. Jordan was a 2011 KBRIN Summer Undergraduate Biomedical Research Program participant. Article and video
MAR 2013 - Susan Boucher joins KBRIN's staff as Program Assistant.
2nd NIH GRANT — Dr. Stefan Paula, an associate professor at NKU has received his second NIH grant for his research "Hydroquinone Derivatives as Novel Calcium Atpase Inhibitors." Dr. Paula describes his research and impact of receiving the grant in this VIDEO
NIH RENEWAL GRANT — Using her NIH renewal grant, Dr. Janelle Hare, an Associate Professor in the Biology & Chemistry Department of Morehead State University continues her research in "Mechanisms of Action of UMUD in Regulating DNA Damage-Induced Genes in a UMUC DEF." VIDEO and ARTICLE
- APR, 2012 - Whitney Rogers, New KBRIN Program Business Manager joins KBRIN. Whitney comes from the Department of Neurology, most recently managing the nationally recognized Center of Excellence in Parkinson’s Disease Research and Care. She has over 9 years of experience in clinical research and patient care.
- MAR 28-APR 1, 2012 - 11th Annual UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit was held in Louisville, Kentucky
- FEB 2012 - Bioinformatics Internships for Undergraduate Students (BIUS) in the Southeast INBRE Region, a collaborative undergraduate summer program was established. Applications for the first summer program were received in March.
- NOV. 4, 2011 - KBRIN Grant Writing Workshop held at Murray State
- OCT. 10, 2011 - External Advisory Committee Meeting
OCT. 4, 2011- IDeA PI Meeting, Bethesda, MD
- SEPT. 22-24, 2011 - 2011 Southeast Regional Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- SEPT. 2, 2011: Science News: Growth Hormone Helps Repair the Zebrafish Ear: Dr. Michael Smith and researchers from Western Kentucky University and the University of Louisville worked together to see which genes were switched on or off after acoustic trauma and found distinct patterns of gene expression. Read Article.
- MAY 12, 2011: KBRIN Bioinformatics Postdoc Associate Jovan David Rebolledo-Mendez, Ph.D. was selected for a FASEB MARC Program Presentation Travel Award to attend the International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) meeting and 10th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB).