Bridge Award: Rachel Tinius
- Institution: Western Kentucky University
- Department: Exercise Science
Rank: Associate Professor
Project Title: Pilot testing of a mobile health intervention designed to increase physical activity and improve morbidity and mortality-related outcomes among pregnant and postpartum women in a rural setting
- About the project: The KY INBRE funded a pilot study that demonstrated the ability of a mobile health app developed by our team (BumptUpTM) to increase physical activity levels among pregnant and postpartum women in Kentucky. Our sustainable digital technology will soon be scaled up and reach the hands of many new and expectant mothers across our state and nation.
- How KY INBRE will help accomplish these goals: Ultimately, the technology developed through the KY INBRE funding mechanism can play a significant role in reducing the extremely high maternal and morbidity rates in our nation through improvements in maternal lifestyles.
- Outside of the classroom/lab: My professional life and personal life and intersected substantially over the past five years. I am an avid runner who ran daily throughout all three of my pregnancies (including 4-6 miles on the day of delivery with each of them!). I am currently training for the Chicago marathon in October 2022!