Bridge Funding Awards
Page updated October 3, 2022
- Letter of Intent due Friday, December 2, 2022
- Completed Proposal due Friday, December 23, 2022
The purpose of the KY INBRE Bridge Funding Award program is to enable NIH-funded faculty to maintain their research program for short periods of time between the lapse of initial grant funding and the start of a new or renewal NIH grant award. Bridge Awards are non-renewable.
- Faculty at the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville are not eligible for KY INBRE Bridge Awards.
- Other KY INBRE faculty who have an active NIH R15/R16 grant with an expiration date within the current or next KY INBRE fiscal year (May1st – April, 30th) who will be requesting a one-year no-cost extension may apply.
- Institutions must continue to provide sufficient research space and release time from teaching (at least 50%) to support the candidate’s NIH research.
- The applicant must show evidence of research progress and meeting the expected KY INBRE metrics (e.g., publications, grant proposals, etc).
- Applicant must have a pending R15 proposal or plans to re-submit by the June 25th R15 application deadline.
- All publications must acknowledge support from NIGMS grant # P20GM103436.
- Awardees must submit an annual progress report to the KY INBRE office no later than January 25, 2023.
- The award is intended to cover the minimum continuing costs required to maintain research programs between lapses in funding.
- The award may be used to cover continuing personnel costs (postdoc, technicians, students) and/or typical research expenses including supplies, equipment, use of core facilities, etc.
- The award may not be used to cover travel or tuition.
- Bridge Awards are non-renewable and are limited to a maximum of $50,000 for a one-year period (consecutive Bridge Awards are not allowed). If a new NIH award is forthcoming prior to the end of the one-year period, then the award will terminate on that date.
- A facilities and administrative (F&A) cost will be allowable in addition to direct costs.
- All funds must be expended within the KY INBRE fiscal year between May 1st and the following April 30th.
Requests for Bridge Funding support should be sent via e-mail as a single PDF file to (Dr. Martha Bickford).
The requests should include:
- the applicant’s current biosketch
- a one-page narrative summarizing research progress, R15 grant proposal status, and explaining the need for funding
- an NIH budget page with justification
- a support letter from the appropriate Chair, Dean, or other authorized university official that must include the institutional commitment to the mandatory cost-share requirements (e.g., release time)
- updated IRB or IACUC approval, if applicable