VA Education Benefits Starts Here


Center for Military-Connected Students (CFMCS), (502) 852-6442

Brodschi Hall 

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits Guide

Using your VA Education benefits is a two-step process, both steps must be completed to successfully use your benefits.

  1. Applying for your benefits through the VA
  2. Apply for certification of VA education benefits through UofL.

Study Abroad

As of August 1, 2020, the Post 9/11 GI Bill® does NOT pay for Study Abroad UNLESS it is specifically listed in the degree plan as a DEGREE REQUIREMENT. As of Jan 2024, there no degree plans at UofL with study abroad as a DEGREE REQUIREMENT. If you have any questions, please contact the Center for Military-Connected Students ( to speak with our VA School Certifying Official. More Information from the VA (PDF)


How to Apply for VA Education Benefits

First time user

  2. “How do I apply”
  3. Follow the instructions

In either case (first time user or former/current user), once the application/transfer is finalized, you will receive a CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY (COE) verifying the number of benefits and months of entitlement available. You will upload a copy of your COE in ULINK after requesting certification, as part of the second step to using benefits.


Applying for certification of VA education benefits through UofL

Requesting Certification

  1. Log in to ULINK (
  2. Select “Profile”
  3. Select “Veterans Education Benefits”
  4. Select “Appropriate Semester”
  5. Follow instructions including uploading your COE



  1. You must request certification of your benefits in ULINK each term.
  2. All requests are processed in the order they are received.
  3. The VA takes a minimum of 30 days to process all claims from the date enrollments are submitted to the VA.



You will need to apply for your benefits no later than the dates indicated below to allow the VA plenty of time to process your application for benefits. Failure to comply with these deadlines could impact the processing of your application and result in payments not being processed before the semester begins.






   Apply no later than   

   Jul 1   

   Nov 1   

   Mar 1   


VA Education benefits criteria for Full-Time vs. Part Time





12 hrs+

Full Time

9 hrs+

Full Time

9 hrs-11 hrs

¾ time

6 hrs-8 hrs

¾ time

6 hrs-8 hrs

½ time

4 hrs-5 hrs

½ time

1 hr-5 hrs

Less than ½ time

3 hrs

More than ¼ but less than ½ time


Summer, Winter Term, and Bi-term Course Enrollments

Contact the CFMCS ( (502) 852-0998 regarding summer, winter, and bi-term course enrollments. These enrollments are certified to the VA based on the dates displayed in the Schedule of Classes and will impact your MHA.

Approved Degree Programs/Changing Majors

The VA will only pay education benefits for courses that apply towards an approved major or degree program. It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to make sure courses they are enrolled in are approved as degree applicable courses. Degree plans are submitted as an attachment after registering for courses in ULINK.

It is the responsibility of the veteran/dependent to notify the CFMCS ( if they are changing majors or degree programs. Failure to comply will terminate VA education benefits.


Must be reported via ULINK under “Profile,” “Veterans Education Benefits,” “Notify” button. Multiple updates/changes will impact certification of benefits and potentially delay benefit distribution.

Punitive Grades

  1. EF”(Earned F) - VA will pay.
  2. “UF”(Unearned failure-student stopped attending) - VA will request payment of tuition and all benefits to be returned to the VA based on the last date of attendance.
  3. “NP”(Non-participatory-student never attended class)-VA will request payment for all benefits based on the first date of the semester.

Unauthorized Repeats

The VA will only pay for repeated courses when the initial grade is an “F.”  A grade of “D” or higher is considered a satisfactory grade by the Department of Veteran Affairs and will not be paid if the course is repeated.

You are responsible for all debts resulting from reductions or terminations of your enrollment, even if the payment was submitted directly to UofL.

Meal Plan Fee

All students living on campus must have either a traditional or apartment meal plan. All full time undergraduate, commuter students who do not live in university housing, and are enrolled in at least 9 hours on campus, will incur a minimum meal plan charge of ($300). A waiver is available for Military-Connected Students* not living on campus.

*Currently serving members of the U.S. Armed Forces (Active-Duty, Coast Guard, Reserve and National Guard), students using VA Education benefits, and ROTC cadets (Prior Service and Green to Gold only).

To obtain  the waviercomplete the waiver application which can be found here Meal Plan Waiver — Dean of Students ( send the following applicable documents to (




Students using VA Education Benefits*

Submit a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for education benefits.

Veterans not using VA Education Benefits

Submit a copy of Department of Defense Form 214.

Currently serving member of U.S. Armed Forces (Active-Duty, Coast Guard, Reserve and National Guard)

Submit your Active-Duty orders, a copy of your Federal (Title 10) Tuition Assistance Form, or a copy of your military identification card (ID).

ROTC Cadets (prior service)

Submit copy of your Department of Defense Form 214.

ROTC Cadets (Green to Gold)

See section above about currently serving members of the Armed Forces.

*Currently serving members of the U.S. Armed Forces (Active-Duty, Coast Guard, Reserve and National Guard), veterans and students using VA Education benefits, and Green to Gold ROTC cadets.

Campus Health Fee

All students enrolled in at least 6 hours on-campus will be charged $150 for the Primary Health Care Fee. These fees are not covered by the Post 9/11 G I Bill®. Military-Connected Students* with healthcare through other means can request the Primary Health Care Fee be waived.

*Currently serving members of the U.S. Armed Forces (Active-Duty, Coast Guard, Reserve and National Guard), students using VA Education benefits, and ROTC cadets (Prior Service and Green to Gold only).

Proof of Insurance

For the campus health fee waiver to be approved, you must submit a copy of your proof of insurance to

  1. Proof of Insurance for Active-Duty members, members of the National Guard, and members of the Reserves is a copy of their valid United States Uniform Services identification card (ID Card).
  2. Proof of Insurance for veterans and dependents is a copy of the front and back of their ID card indicating they are eligible for “Medical” Direct: YES.
  3. If you have other insurance, submit copy of front and back of your insurance card.
  4. If Primary Health Care has been accessed the fee cannot be waived/removed.

Waiver Procedure

  1. Sign into ULINK (
  2. On the Student Homepage, select "Financial Account."
  3. Select "Primary Care Health Fee Waiver" on the left NavBar.
  4. Follow the instructions for submitting the waiver.

Deadline to waive the fee is 30 days from the first day of class. The waiver is valid for up to one academic year and must be resubmitted each fall.

Seven to ten business days after the waiver has been requested and applicable documents submitted, the $150 charge should come off your tuition. If it does not, contact Campus Health at


Enacted by Congress as of 7/1/2015. State of Kentucky’s application of Section 702

Section 7, (4)

(4) A person eligible for benefits under the federal Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, 38 U.S.C. 3301-3325, or any other educational benefits provided under Title 38 of the United States Code shall be entitled to Kentucky resident status for purposes of tuition charged at state-supported institutions.

Disability Resource Center (DRC)

The Disability Resource Center is in room 119 in Stevenson Hall. The staff coordinates services and programs for students with disabilities. Accommodations and support are individualized depending on the needs of each student. For more information contact the Disability Resource Center at (502) 852-6938 or visit their website Disability Resource Center (

Verification of Enrollment (Renewing Military ID or for Tricare Insurance)

Student needs to email Registrar’s Office from student email asking for a verification of enrollment form.

Kentucky State Tuition Waivers

Kentucky state tuition waiver is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain Kentucky veterans. It is administered by the Kentucky Department of Veteran Affairs (KDVA).  Tuition waivers are to be submitted to the Financial Aid Office for processing.

The waiver permits student to attend any two-year, four-year, or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education. The state waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers.

Qualifying factors, the veteran must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. 100% service-connected disabled.
  2. Died on active duty.
  3. Died as a direct result of a service-connected disability as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  4. Totally disabled (non-service connected) with wartime service as deemed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Department of Defense.
  5. Is deceased and lived in KY at time of death and served during a wartime period.



Center for military Connected Students

Brodschi Hall

2218 W Centennial Walk

Louisville, Kentucky 40292

Office Hours

M-F 8:30am - 4:30pm

No Holiday Hours


(502) 852-6442

Social Media