Tuition Assistance

Guide to Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA)

Who do I contact at UofL for questions about TA?

UofL’s Ft. Knox Campus staff, (502) 852-6444. They are UofL’s POC for service members using TA. They are not Education Counselor or Academic Advisors.

DoD TA Overview

DoD TA program provides financial assistance to Service members for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. The courses must be offered by schools that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and are signatories to the current DoD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU). For list of participating institutions DoD Comparison Tool - Home Page (

Each branch of service has their own policies and regulations governing TA. Please use the following links for additional information about your branch of service’s TA policies and procedures.

Branch Site
U.S. Army Tuition Assistance
U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force Tuition Assistance
U.S. Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
U.S. Marine Corps Tuition Assistance
U.S. Navy Tuition Assistance


TA Withdrawal Refund Policy

If a servicemember stops attending due to a military service obligation, UofL will work with the member to try to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

TA is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the U.S. Department of Defense policy, UofL will return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided.

A student’s official withdrawal date is used as the last date of attendance and to calculate earned percentage of TA. A student’s official withdrawal date is determined by using the last date of attendance that is documented and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Once the last date of attendance has been determined, UofL will recalculate a student’s TA eligibility based on the following formula:

Number of Day Completed/Total Days of the Course = Percent of Unearned TA

The amount of TA funding that is earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a student completed 30% of the course, s/he earned 30% of the TA funds that s/he was originally scheduled to receive. The remainder of the unearned funds (70%) would be returned to the TA program. If this results in an unpaid tuition balance, payment would be the responsibility of the student. Once a student has attended at least 60% of the period for which TA funds were approved, the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds.

8-week course Schedule 16-week course Schedule
Before or during week 1 100% return Before or during weeks 1–2 100% return
During week 2 75% return During weeks 3–4 75% return
During weeks 3-4 50% return During weeks 5–8 50% return
During week 5 40% return During weeks 9–10 40% return
During weeks 6-8 No return During weeks 11–16 No return


General TA Questions

Does UofL approve my TA request?

TA use and approval is governed by your branch of service. Academic institutions are not involved in the TA approval process. For questions about TA eligibility and use, please contact your installation Education Center/Office, or your Unit Education Officer.

Who is your (Army/Air Force/Space Force/Coast Guard/Navy/Marine Corps) Education Counselor?

Your (Army/Air Force/Space Force/Coast Guard/Navy/Marine Corps) Education Counselor is a civilian employee of your branch of service, not a UofL employee. They are employed by installation education center’s/offices to counsel servicemembers on voluntary education. They are not your UofL Academic Advisor or UofL’s Ft. Knox campus staff. To determine who your Education Counselor is please contact your installation Education Center/Office, or your unit Education Officer.

Who do I contact for financial issues/questions (outside of the actual TA request)?

UofL Bursar,, (502) 852-6505

Who do I contact for questions/issues registering for a class (even if account has TA hold)?

UofL Registrar,, (502) 852-4662.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Contact your assigned UofL Academic Advisor. Your Advisor works for the college or school you are enrolled in. You can determine your UofL Academic Advisor by logging into your UofL ULINK account.

What if I have grade holds in AI?

If a student’s AI account has a grade hold, they will need to contact an Education Counselor at their installation Education Office/Center. An Army education counselor can temporarily remove this hold so TA can be requested.

What if I have a transcript/diploma hold?

Contact UofL Registrar (, (502) 852-4662) they can provide you with a transcript. The physical diploma will not be released until outstanding payments are made (this is a university policy and cannot be waived).


Academic Institution (AI) Portal Army TA FAQs

My TA has been approved by the Army. Can UofL invoice the Army?

TA approval and authorization to invoice the Army are separate processes. UofL can only invoice the Army once per term for the current term, and once monthly for historic Tuition Assistance Requests (TAR).

When does the Army pay academic institution for TA invoices?

The Army TA payment process is entirely under the purview of the Army. They do not inform academic institutions when they will pay.

My class already started; can I request TA?

Once the class has started students will NOT be allowed to request TA. Soldiers may be aware that ArmyIgniteEd had an Army Exception to Policy (ETP) which enabled this requirement to be circumvented. The ETP no longer existed after Aug 26, 2022.

In my AI account I cannot see the class I am currently enrolled in?

Once the class has started, the student cannot see their currently enrolled classes.

Who do I contact for questions about Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits?

Ms. Carissa Gentry ( or Ms. Kristen Roy ( You can reach both at:, (502) 852-6442