MLK Day of Service
Hello! Thank you for visiting our digital MLK Jr. Day Celebration. On this special day (Monday, January 18, 2021), we hope you find a way to connect with and serve your community that honors the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. In the interest of safety for all during the pandemic, we want to commemorate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by sharing the following list of online resources and virtual service opportunities with our students, staff and faculty.
Additionally, we invite you to engage with our Instagram Challenge by sharing how you intend to celebrate the holiday in his honor. To participate in the challenge, simply tag your Instagram post with #UofLMLK21 by Wednesday, January 20 at 11:59pm. Ten participants will be chosen to win prizes!
We thank you for taking the time to connect and explore the legacy of this Civil Rights Hero, youngest Nobel Prize winner, and inspiration to us all.
Seek Opportunities to Volunteer
- HelperHelper - (must create a UofL account in advance to search for opportunities)
- Volunteer.gov - (use keyword “virtual”)
- MLK Jr. Birth Home Virtual Tour
- MLK Story Map
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)
- Travel Places of the Civil Rights Movement (U.S. National Park Service)
- African American Civil Rights Network
Participate in a Virtual Celebration and/or Event
(January 17, 2021)
- A&S; Yearlings Club Forum Series, Dr. Martin Luther King Holiday Program
- Kentucky Performing Arts and River City Drum Corp - The Democracy! Suite
(January 18, 2021)
- Hear Our Voices: Annual MLK Day Celebration - The Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage with virtual tour of the Jim Crow Museum
- Cummer Museum Day of Reflection
- Washington State Historical Society
- Boca Raton Virtual Celebration
- Lift Every Voice Legacy: Song, spoken word and dance
- Indiana University – Virtual social justice conference
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2021 | The Art Institute of Chicago (artic.edu) - programs through January 20