Support Local Businesses
Looking to support your local business?
In this truly unprecedented time, many of us have wondered, “What can I do? How can I help?” Because social distancing is currently our strongest weapon for containment of COVID-19’s spread, it’s currently the case that inaction, simply staying at home unless it’s absolutely necessary that we go out, is the most important action we can take.
But there are also other, more active ways we can support one another. The vibrant, compassionate community we have here in Louisville has come up with some creative avenues to shore up local businesses and their staff that are especially vulnerable right now.
- Louisville is famous for its food culture and its abundance of local restaurants. With the mandatory shutdown, many of these restaurants are now threatened. Local writer Ashlie Stevens came up with this website, www.keeplouisvillerestaurantsstrong.com as an way to provide much-needed support to these small businesses by suggesting gift card purchases for now or in the future.
- Old Louisville-based 610 Magnolia and the LEE Initiative are providing relief to out of work service-industry folks by packing to-go meals each evening. They also have lots of supplies such as diapers, wipes, canned goods, toilet paper, etc. on hand for distribution.
- GoFundMe, Kentuckiana Service Industry Covid19 Bailout is a GoFundEe account started by someone in the industry to help the many servers, bartenders, barbacks, bussers, dishwashers, the chefs across our community. All donations are split between the Bartenders Guild of Kentucky, Apron (nonprofit providing cash assistance to servers), the LEE Initiative, and pet food for the pets of unemployed service industry workers.
- Louisville Local Businesses – a non food-specific page with information on how to support a variety of local businesses during this uncertain period.
- Want to support local art while also helping to ensure that service industry workers don’t get left behind? Louisville Service Industry Relief has just the fundraiser for you. Peruse page after page of amazing photography and art from local creatives, knowing that all the proceeds of each donated piece goes toward supporting those currently out of work.
- Visit the Louisville Independent Business Alliance for more ideas and a directory of local businesses.