Cardinal Leadership Institute
Being successful - and great place to learn, work and in which to invest - depends on a network of university leaders with the skills and wisdom to carry us forward. To support the development and growth of leaders at the university, the Employee Success Center is developing a three-level leadership series (currently in development). The third level of that leadership series is the brand-new Cardinal Leadership Institute.
In a partnership with the talented faculty of the university’s own department of Educational Leadership, Evaluation and Organizational Development in the College of Education, the Cardinal Leadership Institute was designed with the university’s vision in mind and to cultivate new and emerging university leaders who understand the university's vision and can effectively foster our growth.
The Cardinal Leadership Institute is ready to launch with a pilot group this spring 2021. Running from March 3 to August 11, 2021, this robust course provides graduates with a certificate of achievement, the equivalent of three academic courses in Organizational Leadership and Learning, and a new network of colleagues.
Who can participate?
The Cardinal Leadership Institute is available to University of Louisville faculty and staff who meet the requirements listed. This initial pilot group will give preference to employees with the job title of director or above with three years’ experience in their role. (Update 12/14/20: The qualifications to participate are now expanded to positions such as assistant or associate directors, directors or similar).
How much does it cost?
Participants will use their employee tuition remission benefit to cover the cost of the institute, and will complete an online form to be admitted to the university as a non-degree seeking student as part of the registration process. Participants must be tuition remission eligible and not using their credit hours for other courses at the same time they are participating in the institute.
A registration fee of $399 (non-refundable) is charged to the employee’s home department, which is used by the Employee Success Center to cover student fees, books and other course materials.
Benefits to the participants
- Coursework you can apply directly and immediately to your daily university role, grounded in the Cardinal Principles and strategic plan. Assignments that help you grow as a UofL leader
- Nine undergraduate credit hours that can be applied to future educational goals. Institute staff will process your application and tuition remission credits for you
- A new cohort of like-minded peers who are learning/building their leadership skills and applying their knowledge to real university situations, and whom you can call upon throughout your career
- Instructors who are thought leaders in the field and seasoned university professionals
- Supporting Organizational Change
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- HR Fundamentals
- Coaching and Talent Management
- The institute will meet on Wednesdays from 9:00am to 12:00 pm, March 3 through August 11, with a month-long break in May.
- Additional asynchronous work (on your own) will be possible for up to one hour a week, although most assignments will be completed during class time. This should not be expected to be completed beyond the participant’s normal working hours.
- Completion of an application and a personal statement on why you are interested in participating
- A nomination from your supervisor that includes their commitment to allowing your full participation weekly from March through August 2021
- Upon acceptance to the Cardinal Leadership Institute, applicants will complete an application for Continuing Studies with assistance from the Employee Success Center (fee will be waived for institute participants)
Cardinal Leadership Institute faculty
Each course will from 9:00am to 12:00 pm on Wednesdays. The program will follow the university add/drop schedule. The 2021 pilot group class schedule is as follows:
- Part 1: Leading Organizational Change
- March 3
- March 10
- March 17
- March 24
- March 31
- April 7
- April 14
- April 21
- Please note: there will be no courses held in May
Part 2: Human Resources Fundamentals
- June 2
- June 9
- June 16
- June 23
- June 30
Part 3: Coaching and Talent Development
- July 7
- July 14
- July 21
- July 28
- August 4
- August 11
Interested? Apply now
Recap of requirements to participate in the 2021 Cardinal Leadership Institute pilot
- Job title of director or above and three years in current role
- Eligible for tuition remission and do not to plan to use credit hours for other courses at the same time as the Cardinal Leadership Institute
- Commitment to fully attend the schedules classes (Wednesdays from 9:00am to 12:00 pm, March 3 through August 11, with a month-long break in May)
- Nomination and affirmation from your supervisor with their commitment to allow your full participation
(The 2021 Pilot application is now closed. Check back for future applications)