Cardinal Leadership Institute
Hear from our Cardinal Leadership Institute Faculty here!
Cardinal Leadership Institute
The 2023 Cardinal Leadership Institute (CLI) has already occurred. Applications will open for the 2024 Cardinal Leadership Institute cohort in the fall of 2023. Please check back!
Are you interested in furthering your leadership development and meeting a community of supportive peers who are also university leaders?
Being successful - and a great place to learn, discover, connect and work - depends on a network of university leaders with the skills and wisdom to carry us forward. To support the development and growth of leaders at the university, the Employee Success Center in partnership with the College of Education & Human Development has created the Cardinal Leadership Institute. The institute was designed with the university’s vision in mind and to cultivate new and emerging university leaders who understand the university's vision and can effectively foster our growth.
The Cardinal Leadership Institute is accepting applications for the 2023 cohort. Running from January to June 1st, 2023, this robust institute provides graduates with a certificate of achievement, the equivalent of three academic courses in Organizational Leadership and Learning, and a new network of colleagues.
Attend one of our upcoming Cardinal Leadership Institute Interest Sessions to learn more! You will have the opportunity to hear from the Employee Success Center, the institute faculty, and Cardinal Leadership Institute alumni. Register for a session below:
- TBD (coming fall of 2023)
Who can participate?
The Cardinal Leadership Institute is available to University of Louisville faculty and staff who meet the requirements listed. Preference will be given to employees with the job title of assistant or associate directors, directors or similar or above with three years’ experience in their role. All are welcome to apply.
How much does it cost?
Participants will use their employee tuition remission benefit to cover the cost of the institute and will complete an online form to be admitted to the university as a non-degree seeking student as part of the registration process. Participants must be tuition remission eligible and not using their credit hours for other courses at the same time they are participating in the institute.
A registration fee of $550 (non-refundable) will be charged to the employee’s home department, which is used by the Employee Success Center to cover the CLI badge, student fees, books and other course materials.
Benefits to the participants
- Content you can apply directly and immediately to your daily university role, grounded in the Cardinal Principles and strategic plan. Learning experiences that help you grow as a UofL leader
- A new cohort of like-minded peers who are learning/building their leadership skills and applying their knowledge to real university situations, and whom you can call upon throughout your career
- Instructors who are thought leaders in the field and seasoned university professionals
- Nine undergraduate credit hours that can be applied to future educational goals. Institute staff will process your application and tuition remission credits for you
- *NEW* A digital badge in leadership that can be displayed in their email signature, social media pages, etc.
- Supporting Organizational Change
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Coaching and Talent Management
- Strategic Plan
- University Culture/Values
- Cardinal Principles
- Institute participants will meet each Wednesday from January 11th, 2023 through May 31st, 2023 from 8:30am-12:30pm, with the exception of the May sessions that will meet Wednesdays from 8:30am-4:30pm. (see the detailed schedule below)
- Additional asynchronous work (on your own) will be possible for up to one hour a week, although most assignments will be completed during class time. This should not be expected to be completed beyond the participant’s normal working hours.
- Completion of an application and a personal statement on why you are interested in participating
- A nomination from your supervisor that includes their commitment to allowing your full participation weekly from January 11, 2023 through May 31, 2023
- Upon acceptance to the Cardinal Leadership Institute, applicants will complete an application for Continuing Studies with assistance from the Employee Success Center (fee will be waived for institute participants)
Cardinal Leadership Institute faculty
Dr. Matt Bergman, Dr. Ann Herd and Dr. Douglas Craddock, Organizational Leadership and Learning, along with Brian Buford and Meagan West, Employee Success Center
Each session will meet on Wednesdays. The program will follow the university add/drop schedule.
The 2023 CLI schedule is as follows:
Part 1: Supporting Organizational Change
- January 11 (in-person)
- January 18 (virtual)
- January 25 (virtual)
- February 1 (virtual)
- February 8 (virtual)
- February 15 (virtual)
- February 22 (virtual)
Part 2: Leadership and Management
- March 1 (in-person)
- March 8 (virtual)
- March 15 (Spring Break)
- March 22 (virtual)
- March 29 (virtual)
- April 5 (virtual)
- April 12 (virtual)
- April 19 (virtual)
- April 26 (virtual)
Part 3: Coaching and Talent Development
- 8:30am-4:30pm in-person
- May 10
- May 17
- May 24
- Cardinal Leadership Institute Celebration will be held on May 31st.
Recap of requirements to participate in the 2023 Cardinal Leadership Institute
- Job title of assistant/associate director or similar with three years and above in current role (All are welcome to apply)
- Eligible for tuition remission and not enrolled in any other credit hours at UofL at the same time as the Cardinal Leadership Institute
- Commitment to fully attend the scheduled sessions (Wednesdays from 8:30am to 12:30 pm January-April & 8:30am-4:30pm May 10th through May 31st)
- Nomination and affirmation from your supervisor with their commitment to allow your full participation