HDI Seminar: “Supported Decision-Making and Guardianship”
Join the Human Development Institute for a free seminar titled, “Supported Decision-Making and Guardianship”
Date & Time: September 28, 2018 from 1:00 to 3:00pm EST
Place: UK Coldstream Research Campus in the Human Development Institute Training Room.
UK Coldstream Research Campus
Human Development Institute Training Room
1525 Bull Lea Road, Lexington KY 40511
Please join HDI in person or online via video conference. A link to the live video stream of the seminar will be sent to registrants.
Laura Butler, Human Development Institute, University of Kentucky
Camille Collins, Kentucky Division of Protection & Advocacy
Bill Dolan, Kentucky Division of Protection & Advocacy
This seminar provides an introduction to supported decision-making (SDM) and guardianship. The presentation will explain SDM, as well as discuss guardianship laws and practices. Practical implications of SDM and guardianship in employment, health care, education, and community integration will be emphasized.
1. Be able to define supported decision-making as a means of increasing independence and overall well-being for people and as an alternative to guardianship.
2. Identify practical uses for supported decision-making and guardianship across the lifespan.
3. Understand the guardianship process in the courts, including the process of modifying or terminating guardianship.
4. Develop an understanding of the role, as defined by regulation and statues, of guardianship.
5. Become familiar with the pros and cons of both supported decision-making and guardianship and understand how to evaluate the potential benefits of each option for an individual situation.
Registration: There is no charge to register. Space is limited. Electronic registration will open August 17, 2018. Visit HDI Seminar Registration to register for the seminar. For help registering, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is presented in conjunction with the Kentucky Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. CRC credit hours are pending for Rehabilitation Counseling.