Undergraduate and Graduate students traveling internationally for non-study abroad purposes

1. General Procedure

2. Forms

3. Insurance

General Procedure

Study Abroad is defined as:

  • Studying internationally through a third party program
  • Participating in an exchange program
  • Direct enrollment in a foreign institution
  • Participating in a faculty-led program

Students who are traveling internationally on behalf of the University but for reasons other than those listed above are required to file international travel forms and receive Provost approval.

This includes but is not limited to: Brown Fellow Summer Enrichment programs; Speed School international internships; graduate or undergraduate students conducting research, presenting papers, attending conferences at foreign locations; public health practicums; and medical students participating in overseas medical missions.

If you think this applies to you, or to receive further clarification, please send an
Be sure to include:

  • Dates of trip
  • Purpose
  • Location
  • Funding source

Additional Requirements

Please note that destinations on the US Department of State’s Travel Advisory list (Levels 2-3), the CDC’s Travel Notice Level 2 list, and the Department of the Treasury’s Sanctions list will require additional permissions and paperwork.  Students are prohibited from traveling to countries ranked as Level 4 "do not travel" by the Department of State or Level 3 "avoid nonessential travel" by the CDC. See the Travel Warning Policy for more details. 

Please if you are planning to travel to a country on any of these lists.


 The following forms and documents are required:

NB: If the country you are traveling to is on any of the government lists mentioned in the procedure section above, there are additional permissions and/or paperwork required.

  1. Request for Out of Country Travel form (signed by your department supervisor and dean) (PDF)
  2. Student Demographic form (PDF)
  3. Student Release and Assumption of Risk form (PDF)
  4. Travel Certification form (PDF)
  5. Student Conduct form (PDF)
  6. Personal Emergency Action Plan (PEAP) form (PDF)
  7. A copy of your signed passport page (Note: travelers are advised to not leave the country if their passport will expire within six months of their return date). Here is an example of an acceptable passport copy.

The approved forms and supporting documentation must be received in the International Center twenty working days before the start of travel. The International Center will then send an email pre-approving your request. Once pre-approval has been received, please submit:

  • An e-receipt for airfare
  • Your lodging information
  • All students are required to purchase CISI travel insurance. Please click here for more information.


All persons traveling abroad are required to purchase CISI travel insurance. Please see the Travel Insurance page for policy and payment information.