Utpal Sen, Ph.D.
University of Kalyani, India, 2001
Renovascular remodeling in hypertension and diabetes: physiological roles of hydrogen sulfide
We delineate to understand mechanisms of kidney remodeling in hypertension and diabetes. These pathophysiological conditions drive glomerular vascular damage involving matrix metalloproteinases and their tissue inhibitors, jap junction proteins, and increased matrix formation. Increased matrix protein, such as collagen leads to glomerular-tubulointerstitial fibrosis and impaired renal function.
Kidney, in addition to its normal physiological function, also plays a major role in hydrogen sulfide biosynthesis. Emerging evidences indicate that H2S is an important gaseous molecule with numerous physiological effects. Pathophysiological conditions of hypertension and diabetes leads to renal tissue damage resulting in diminished H2S biosynthesis, which may further renal malfunction. The focus of our laboratory is to delineate any protective role of H2S in renovascular remodeling and dysfunction during hypertension and diabetes.
- Sen U, Sathnur PB, Kundu S, Givvimani S, Coley DM, Mishra PK, Qipshidze N, Tyagi N, Metreveli N, Tyagi SC. Increased endogenous H2S generation by CBS, CSE, and 3MST gene therapy improves ex vivo renovascular relaxation in hyperhomocysteinemia. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012; 303(1):C41-51. PMID: 22517358.
- Sen U, Givvimani S, Abe OA, Lederer ED, Tyagi SC. Cystathionine β-synthase and cystathionine γ-lyase double gene transfer ameliorate homocysteine-mediated mesangial inflammation through hydrogen sulfide generation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011; 300(1):C155-63. PMID: 20943958.
- Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Sen U, Joshua IG, Tyagi SC. Synergism in hyperhomocysteinemia and diabetes: role of PPAR gamma and tempol. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2010; 9:49. PMID: 20828387.
- Sen U, Tyagi SC. Homocysteine and Hypertension in Diabetes: Does PPARgamma Have a Regulatory Role? PPAR Res. 2010; 2010:806538. PMID: 20613990.
- Sen U, Munjal C, Qipshidze N, Abe O, Gargoum R, Tyagi SC. Hydrogen sulfide regulates homocysteine-mediated glomerulosclerosis. Am J Nephrol. 2010; 31(5):442-55. PMID: 20395677.
- Sen U, Basu P, Abe OA, Givvimani S, Tyagi N, Metreveli N, Shah KS, Passmore JC, Tyagi SC. Hydrogen sulfide ameliorates hyperhomocysteinemia-associated chronic renal failure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009; 297(2):F410-9. PMID: 19474193.
- Sen U, Tyagi N, Patibandla PK, Dean WL, Tyagi SC, Roberts AM, Lominadze D. Fibrinogen-induced endothelin-1 production from endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009; 296(4):C840-7. PMID: 19193866.
- Sen U, Rodriguez WE, Tyagi N, Kumar M, Kundu S, Tyagi SC. Ciglitazone, a PPARgamma agonist, ameliorates diabetic nephropathy in part through homocysteine clearance. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 295(5):E1205-12. PMID: 18780770.