Paras K. Mishra, Ph.D.
Paras K. Mishra, Ph.D.
Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi, INDIA 2006
MicroRNomics of cardiovascular diseases and diabetic cardiomyopathy
The structural and functional remodeling in heart is regulated by microRNAs (miRNAs) - tiny, conserved, non-coding regulatory RNAs that have been recently emerged as biomarkers and therapeutic targets for cardiovascular and several other diseases. My research work focuses on finding the candidate miRNAs involved in heart failure especially diabetic cardiomyopathy and using them for ameliorating the pathological conditions. Additionally, I am also investigating the key factors associated with heart failure such as elevation in homocysteine level, degradation of extracellular matrix, decrease in tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases (TIMPs), impairment of sympathetic tone and contractile function of cardiomyocytes using in vivo, ex- vivo and in vitro approaches.
SELECTED PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS:
- Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Kundu S, Tyagi SC (2009). MicroRNAs are involved in homocysteine induced cardiac remodeling. Cell Biochem Biophys. 55(3):153-62. PMID: 19669742
- Kundu S, Kumar M, Sen U, Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Metreveli N, Lominadze D, Rodriguez W, Tyagi S C (2009). Nitrotyrosinylation, remodeling and endothelial- myocyte uncoupling in iNOS, cystathioning beta synthase (CBS) knockouts and iNOS/CBS double knockout mice. J Cell Biochem. 106 (1):119-26.PMID: 19021146.
- Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Kumar M, Tyagi SC (2009). MicroRNAs as a therapeutic target for cardiovascular disease. J Cell Mol Med. 13:778-89. PMID: 19320780.
- Moshal KS, Kumar M, Tyagi N, Mishra PK, Metreveli N, Rodriguez WE, Tyagi S C (2009). Restoration of contractility in hyperhomocysteinemia by cardiac-specific deletion of NMDA-R1. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 296(3):H887-92. PMID: 19181966.
- Tyagi N, Mishra PK, Tyagi SC (2009). Homocysteine, hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and NMDA-receptor in heart failure. Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2009:46(6):441-6. PMID: 20361707.
- Mishra PK, Singh SR, Joshua IG, Tyagi SC (2010). Stem cells as a therapeutic target for diabetes. Front Biosci. 15:461-477. PMID: 20036830.
- Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Sen U, Givvimani S, Tyagi SC (2010). H2S ameliorates oxidative and proteolytic stresses and protects the heart against adverse remodeling in chronic heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 298 (2):H451-6. PMID: 19933416.
- Givvimani S, Tyagi N, Sen U, Mishra PK, Qipshidze N, Munjal C, Vacek J C, Abe O A, Tyagi S C (2010). MMP-2/TIMP-2?TIMP-4 versus MMP-9/TIMP-3 in transition from compensatory hypertrophy and angiogenesis to decompensatory heart failure. Arch Physiol Biochem. 116(2): 63-71. PMID: 20230216.
- Sen U, Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Tyagi SC (2010). Homocysteine to hydrogen sulfide or hypertension. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2010. 57(2-3):49-58. PMID: 20387006.
- Mishra PK, Metreveli N, Tyagi S C (2010). MMP-9 Gene Ablation and TIMP-4 Mitigate PAR-1-mediated Cardiomyocyte Dysfunction: A Plausible Role of Dicer and miRNA. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2010. 57(2-3):67-76. PMID: 20422465.
- Mishra PK, Tyagi N, Sen U, Joshua IG, Tyagi SC (2010). Synergism in hyperhomocysteinemia and diabetes: role of PPAR gamma and tempol. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 9:49-62. PMID: 20828387.
- Mishra PK*, Singh SR, Sharma R, Tyagi SC (2010). Chapter entitled “Stem cell for myocardial regeneration” in the book “Stem cells: organogenesis and cancer” edited by Shree Ram Singh and Paras K. Mishra. Research Signpost. Page 119-126.
- Mishra PK*, Givvimani S, Metreveli N, Tyagi SC (2010). Attenuation of beta2 adrenergic receptors and homocysteine metabolic enzymes causes diabetic cardiomyopathy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 401(2):175-81. PMID: 20836991.
- Mishra PK*, Awe O, Metreveli N, Qipshidze N, Joshua IG, Tyagi SC (2011). Exercise mitigates homocysteine - β2-adrenergic receptor interactions to ameliorate contractile dysfunction in diabetes. Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol. 3(2):97-106. PMID: 21760968.
- Basu P, Qipshidze N, Sen U, Givvimani S, Munjal C, Mishra PK, Tyagi SC (2011). Chronic hyperhomocysteinemia causes vascular remodelling by instigating vein phenotype in artery. Arch Physiol Biochem.117 (5):270-82. PMID: 21838575.
- Givvimani S, Qipshidze N, Tyagi N, Mishra PK, Sen U, Tyagi SC (2011). Synergism between arrhythmia and hyperhomocysteinemia in structural heart disease. Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol. 3(2):107-19. PMID: 21760969.
- Tyagi AC, Sen U, Mishra PK* (2011). Synergy of microRNA and stem cell: a novel therapeutic approach for diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular diseases. Curr Diabetes Rev. 7(6):367-76. PMID: 21864292.
- Qipshidze N, Metreveli N, Mishra PK, Lominadze D, Tyagi SC (2012). Hydrogen Sulfide Mitigates Cardiac Remodeling During Myocardial Infarction via Improvement of Angiogenesis. Int J Biol Sci. 8(4):430-41. PMID: 22419888.
- Mishra PK*, Chavali V, Metreveli N, Tyagi SC (2012). Ablation of MMP9 induces survival and differentiation of cardiac stem cells into cardiomyocytes in the heart of diabetics: a role of extracellular matrix. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 90(3):353-60. PMID: 22394373.
- Sen U, Sathnur PB, Kundu S, Givvimani S, Coley SM, Mishra PK, QipshidzeN, Tyagi N, Metreveli N, Tyagi SC (2012). Increased endogenous H2S generation by CBS, CSE, and 3MST gene therapy improves ex vivo renovascular relaxation in hyperhomocysteinemia. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 303(1):C41-51. PMID: 22517358.
- Chavali V, Tyagi SC, Mishra PK* (2012). MicroRNA-133a regulates DNA methylation in diabetic cardiomyocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 425(3):668-72. PMID: 22842467.