Chairman: Ronald J. Elin, M.D., Ph.D.
Administrative Support: Bonnie Deppert - (502) 852-5341
The faculty of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine provide service to University of Louisville Hospital, the Veterans Administration Medical Center and the Medical Examiners Office, provide education to medical students, residents and fellows and a research program in pathology. We are developing new approaches to healthcare, research and education conceived in the vision of the Dean of the School of Medicine that will help this Department become a nationally recognized center of excellence in basic and applied research, education and training, and clinical practice in pathology and laboratory medicine. We have established the following goals:
- Develop and present state of the art education and training programs
- Offer a pathology residency training program that is ranked highly as indicated by the residents ability to successfully pass the American Board of Pathology certifying examination on their initial sitting
- Develop new service programs to support the University of Louisville Challenge for Excellence program, other university departments and extramural organizations so as to achieve a solid financial base for the Department
- Increase the research activities of our full time faculty, residents and fellows
- Increase the quality and quantity of publications of our full time faculty, residents and fellows
- Increase our grant support with emphasis on federally funded support
- Develop several applied research programs to enhance diagnostic capabilities
This Department-wide master strategic plan will be used as the principal vision in guiding this Department's activities and growth for the 21st century.