Wireless Access for UofL Visitors
Every day, UofL hosts many visitors and guests who need wireless access. They include:
- Prospective students and their families
- Vendors attending meetings on campus
- Alumni and other visitors
- Conference attendees
Three types of wireless access are available, depending upon who you are:
- ulvisitor(for visitors; short-term use, limited internet functionality)
- ulsponsor(full-service unencrypted network access for up to 30 days; requires a UofL sponsor)
- ulsecure(requires an valid ulink username/password, preferred network for UofL student, faculty, staff)
With the ulvisitor network, you can use the university's wireless network to access the Internet while on-campus. The ulvisitor network offers sessions limited to 6 hours. The sessions will automatically log out after 30 minutes of inactivity . Services are limited to HTTP, HTTPS. For more information see the ulvisitor frequently asked questions. (FAQs)
How to get online
To use the ulvisitor service on campus:
- Select the SSID ulvisitor from your device's list of available wireless networks.
- Open a browser and load any URL; you will be redirected to an access page (on some mobile devices, the access page should open automatically).
- Enter a valid email address
Sponsorship is required for a guest that requires less restrictive access. Any UofL faculty or administrative staff member are able to create wireless guest network accounts. To sponsor a guest visit the UofL Guest Wireless Sponsor Portal to create a Ulink ID-sponsored guest account. Enter your Ulink user name and password to begin the process. After you sign on you will be directed to the portal where you create and manage accounts. The system will auto generate a user name and password after you have entered and submitted the appropriate information.
The guest network account may be made active for up to 30 days. If your guest requires an account for more than 30 days you can simply extend the guest account duration.
Note: as a UofL guest account sponsor, you are responsible for your guests' Internet use as well as any reported misuse.
How to get online
To access sponsored wireless guest service:
- Select the SSID ulsponsor from your device's list of available wireless networks.
- Open a browser and load any URL to display a UofL guest log in page.
- Log in with your sponsored guest user name and password. After you log in, you can use Internet services and web browsing as you would at a public venue such as Starbucks.
- Requesting Guest Access - - Sponsor Portal User Guide -
- Windows Vista & Windows 7 - for sponsored guest
- Mac OS X - connection instructions for sponsored guest
- iOS 8 (iphone/ipad) - connection instructions for sponsored guest
- Android 5 - connection instructions for sponsored guest
Bulk Load Sponsored Guest Wireless Access
Please remember that if you are planning a large event with possible high demand for wireless access in a single location wireless should work most of the time. However due to the nature of wireless service it is not possible to guarantee service availability. Event coordinators should review wireless in the classroom for helpful tips for maximizing wireless for a large number of users in a single area. Please check the wireless locations page for coverage.
This secure, campus-wide service allows students, faculty, and staff AES encrypted access to UofL campus resources
How to get online
To use the ulsecure service on campus:
- Select the SSID ulsecure from your device's list of available wireless networks.
- Enter your ulink user name at the prompt, and your ulink password.
- Accept the ulsecure certificate and authenticate your device, if prompted.
For more information on the ulsecure service, or for help with setting up your device, please refer to the ulsecure client configuration website.