The University of Louisville provides wireless network in many public areas on all three campuses. The wireless network uses the latest 802.11g equipment providing up to 54Mbps connectivity.
Faculty, staff, and students are required to use the Odyssey client software for secure wireless connections. Guests may register for short-term network access without using the Odyssey client, but will not have the same level of network security as faculty, staff, and students.
Odyssey Wireless Client
The Odyssey client provides network login (using your ULink userid and password), and encryption of your network traffic. The Odyssey client is available in two versions, one for Windows laptops, the other for PocketPC handheld devices. Note: The Odyssey client software is not yet available for Windows Vista. If you have wireless computer using Vista, please contact the Helpdesk at 852-7997 to set up wireless access.
Odyssey is available at no charge to university faculty, staff, and students.
Please read the installation instructions before attempting to download.
Vista users, please contact the Helpdesk at 852-7997 for assistance.
Pocket PC Client
Hardware & Software Considerations
- The Odyssey Client is compatible with any wireless adapter card that fully supports 802.1x. The devices listed in the Compatibility Guide support 802.1x and should be compatible with Odyssey; however, it is by no means a comprehensive list. If your device is not listed, you need to verify with its manufacturer that it fully implements 802.1x and it will work with the Odyssey client.
- Your wireless card or built-in wireless must support either the 802.11G or 802.11B wireless standard.
- Information Technology is developing a list of recommended wireless cards.
- This client requires either Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system - a client for Windows Vista is not available yet.
- Please insure you have the latest driver and firmware updates for your wireless card or built-in wireless.
- For PDA devices, there is a client for PocketPC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003 operating systems. Installation on these devices requires a desktop/laptop computer with Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system.
Wireless Access for Guests
Temporary guest access is available for visitors of the University and may be requested by any faculty or staff. Guest access can be set to expire after three to seven days. Guests are not required to run the Odyssey client, but their network sessions are not encrypted.
Additional technical documentation on wireless setup, client download, and Guest access is available:
- Before you install
- CD Installation
- How to find your MAC address
- How to setup guest access
- Macintosh wireless guest setup
- PocketPC 2002 or Mobile 2003 Installation
- Setup client for Novell Netware login
- Setup client for home wireless networks
- Setup client for multiple users
- Using your Macintosh (OS X 10.3.x) to connect to UofL wireless
- Using Your Macintosh ( OS X 10.4.9 ) to Connect to the Secure UofL Wireless Network
- Using Your Macintosh ( OS X 10.4.10 ) to Connect to the Secure UofL Wireless Network
- Using Your Macintosh ( OS X 10.5 ) to Connect to the Secure UofL Wireless Network
- Odyssey web installation
A presentation on wireless security is available at http://www.louisville.edu/it/wireless/presentation.mht. (Large file - 1.5MB)
Recommended Wireless Cards
If you would like to order a wireless card, the following has been tested and is known to work in the university wireless environment. Based on testing, a wider range of recommended cards may be offered in the future.
|Description:||Cisco 802.11 a/b/g Cardbus Adapter; FCC cnfg|