Windows XP Wireless Detailed Setup Guide
- Click on the Start button, then go to "Connect to" and choose "Wireless Network Connection."
- Select "Change advanced settings" located in the left side bar.
- Select the "Wireless Networks" tab.
- Make sure the checkbox for "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" is checked, then click to "Add" button.
- In the new window that appears, enter the following settings as shown in the screenshot below:
- Network name (SSID) - ulsecure
- Network Authentication - WPA2
- Data encryption - AES
After entering in the values, select the "Authentication" tab.
- Change the "EAP type" to "Protected EAP (PEAP)" using the drop down menu, then chose "Properties".
- In the pop-up window that just opened up, select "Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)" from the drop down menu under "Select Authentication Method". After that, select "Configure" to continue.
- Check the only checkbox in the resulting pop-up window corresponding with "Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)."
Select "OK" in this window and also for the remaining open windows. This should close all the windows opened in steps 3-8 and you will arrive back at your desktop.
- Left click on the wireless icon located in the taskbar in the lower right hand corner of the screen next to the system clock.
- In the "Wireless Network Connection" window, select the "Refresh network list" option from the left hand sidebar.
- Your wireless device will now look through your settings and attempt to connect to ulsecure. A pop-up notification from the wireless icon (seen in step 9) will appear. Click on this notification and continue to the next step.
- In the "Enter Credentials" window that appears, enter your UofL user name and password. These are the same credentials you use for Ulink and email services. Leave the "Logon domain" field blank. Click "OK" when complete.
IMPORTANT STEP! If you do not perform the steps below, you will not connect.
- Wait for another notification window to appear next to the wireless icon (seen in step 9). This notification will say "Click here to process your logon information for the network ulsecure". Click on this notification and continue to the next step.
- A new pop-up window will open asking you to valid the certificate. Select "OK" to continue connecting to ulsecure.
- You should now be successfully connected to ulsecure. You can verify your connection by looking at the wireless networks list. You should see "Connected" next to the ulsecure network if your connection was successful.
If not, one of the most common issues is a mistyped password. Try your password again or type out your password in a text editor like notepad, then copy/paste your password into the field. That way, there is no guessing as to whether or not you typed your password in correctly since you can actually see your password typed out when you copy/paste it from a text editor.