Beginning July 1, 2010, IT's Communication Services will implement a new bundled voice, data, and wireless service called uConnect.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
uConnect is a new bundled voice, data and wireless service.
The wireless expansion project was approved by central administration in November 2009. As the VoIP project was due to be paid off this fiscal year, Information Technology was given permission to use the savings from the VoIP infrastructure to finance the wireless expansion. The bundling of voice, data, and wireless into a single service (uConnect) is meant to show the added value of wireless to the university community.
uConnect services will begin with the new fiscal year. On the morning of July 1, 2010, Information Technology will programmatically match VoIP voice and data pairs that currently exist within the telecommunications management system and change the information to indicate they are uConnect. The voice and data records that cannot be matched will be unchanged and considered a la carte.
uConnect will cost $35.50. It is not a new and separate charge for units. Currently, the combined rate for a VoIP telephone and data connection is $34.50 ($23.00 + $11.50). The increase of $1 reflected in the uConnect fee ($23.50 + $12.00) is due to an increase in the centrally-mandated administrative fee and is not an increase to fund the expansion of wireless.
The centrally-mandated administrative fee was implemented in revenue-based accounts a couple of years ago and increased from 2% to 7% since that time. Since Communications Services is 100% cost-recovery, we have to increase the rates to recover the increase in centrally-mandated administrative fees. Because of this, the new service rate will apply to all voice and data connections, uConnect and a la carte.
- Each individual who has a ULink userid, a VoIP telephone line and a VoIP data line at the same location (using directory number and jack identification) will be identified in the telecommunications management system as a uConnect bundle.
- Voice mail is not included in the uConnect bundle as everyone does not subscribe to this service. Voice mail, as well as additional telephone lines and data connections will be billed a la carte. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. Computer labs
b. Fax lines and printer connections
c. Conference room telephones and/or data connections
d. A telephone line without a data connection
e. A second data connection
f. Any resource with the 10 digit department number as the user ID
- Units and schools will no longer pay for wireless access points in UofL buildings. UofL departments located in non-UofL buildings that will not benefit from expanded wireless will be exempted from the new uConnect bundled services.
- To ensure maintenance of the telecommunications infrastructure, which now includes pervasive wireless, departments will not be able to decrease billing through the removal of wired connections.
This strategy, which was vetted and approved by UofL administration, establishes the current level of wired connection charges as the baseline necessary to maintain the network infrastructure while the wireless project is completed and financing repaid. This is estimated to take up to five years.
- Once the financial obligation has been met, service rates will be evaluated as part of the usual rate calculation process.
- An exception process will exist for those departments with an unusual circumstance. This request will be available July 1. Submit these requests through the telecommunication work request system. Each request will be considered by the pervasive wireless project steering committee.
uConnect will appear as a new service on the IT billing reports in University Reports with its own PeopleSoft accounting codes. Unit Business Managers can run the Network Inventory report to see a list of all connections and who they are assigned including the charges. This report will not reflect the new service rate until after the July billing cycle runs at the end of the month and the base billing data is loaded into University Reports around the first of August.
Beginning July 1, uConnect will appear as a selection in the telecommunication work request system.
Email our service account: email@example.com.