Germany: Mainz-Sister Cities year-long exchange
Exchange Program - Mainz, Germany
The Mainz, Germany year-long Exchange is a collaboration between UofL, Johannes Gutenberg University (also known as Mainz University) in Germany, Sister Cities of Louisville, Inc., and the Mainz-Louisville Friendship Circle.
Applications are invited from U of L students with an interest in German culture and language. Applications may come from any academic discipline; however, the vast majority of courses at Johannes Gutenberg University are conducted in German. The exchange student will spend two semesters studying in Mainz and is expected to return to the University of Louisville to resume his/her studies.
Johannes Gutenberg University Academic Year: mid-October to the end of July (students must arrive within the first week of October for preparatory activities prior to the start of classes.
The exchange student may also have the option of participating in the month-long International Vacation - German language immersion course and subsequent home stay program in the month of September and early October.
Application deadline: December 1
- Applications are invited from University of Louisville students with an interest in German culture and language for a year’s study at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany. Applications may come from any academic discipline; however, all classes are conducted in German. Exchange students will spend two semesters studying in Mainz and are expected to return to the University of Louisville to resume their studies.
- Applicants may take any courses at the Johannes Gutenberg University for which he or she qualifies, subject to course prerequisites. General information on the Johannes Gutenberg University and course listings are available at the International Center and at the Mainz University website.
- Applicants must have completed thirty semester hours (30) of college courses with a grade point average of 3.0 or better at the time of the award. They must also have completed courses in German through the intermediate level with a grade point average of at least 3.2, or have commensurate competence.
- The exchange period is for ten months (October through July). Exchange students must arrive at Johannes Gutenberg University by Oct. 1. An initial 2-week orientation course for Exchange students is included in the program schedule. Regular classes follow afterwards. Students should click on the “Information for Exchange Students (in English)” brochure in the download section on the right.
The designated Mainz exchange students may be eligible for a scholarship for the Johannes Gutenberg University International Vacation (Language immersion) course. This includes one month of intensive German language training in Mainz (month of September), followed by a 2-week homestay. Whether choosing this additional program or not, students should in any case plan to arrive at Johannes Gutenberg University by early October to participate in the required preparatory activities for their year-long exchange program.
To apply, submit the following materials to the International Center by December 1:
• The application form
• Complete transcripts beyond the secondary level
• Two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from a professor of German. The other may be from an employer.
• A 750 word statement of purpose that outlines the proposed course of study, the applicant's qualifications, as well as educational objectives to be achieved by studying in Germany. In addressing his or her qualifications, the applicant should include a discussion of career goals, work experience, special skills or licenses, foreign language proficiency and foreign and domestic travel experience.
The period of study in Germany should contribute to the field of study or career that the applicant intends to pursue upon his or her return. Applicants should demonstrate the ability to conduct themselves in both interpersonal and academic situations to the credit of the University of Louisville, Sister Cities of Louisville, Inc. and the United States.
Upon return to Louisville, the exchange student must write a final report on the study year and provide up to twenty hours of service as a resource person for programs related to Mainz and Germany at the University or with Sister Cities of Louisville, Inc.
Return Application Materials to:
Dr Joy Carew
University of Louisville
101 Brodschi Hall
Louisville, KY 40292
Financial matters for first days and visa
In order to get the student visa after arriving in Germany, students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds for the academic year in Mainz --usually a statement from the bank will suffice. The estimated amount on the Johannes Gutenberg University website is: 7,200 Euros.