Graduate Research Fund
The Graduate Student Council has a fund to assist graduate student research. This fund is intended to assist students who face expenses related to research, such as equipment costs, acquiring data sets, etc. The Research grant fund is not intended for travel use. Please apply for Travel Funding if you need money to attend a conference. However, if your travel is related to acquiring data etc. you may apply for a research grant.
Students may request up to $500. (The research fund committee may choose to fund partial or full grants. )
Those who are awarded a GSC Research grant will also be featured at the Graduate Research Conference and will be asked to present either a poster or a short (10-12 minute) presentation.
At the conclusion of the research project (or at the end of the academic year, if the project is ongoing), the recipient of the Grant agrees to submit a brief but detailed report to the Research Fund committee on the research undertaken with the assistance of the grant and to recognize the Graduate Student Council's support in any publication that results from this research. Students who do not submit their research report will not be eligible for future GSC Research Funding.
A.) Your CV
B.) Project description with a proposed budget (no more than 1-2 pages)
C.) A brief letter from the your Department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies, or Dissertation/Thesis director in support of the student and attesting to the appropriateness of the proposed budget and project. The letter of support will be collected by the student and submitted along with the other application materials; a screen capture of an email is acceptable.
D.) Please indicate whether you intend to present at the 2017 or 2018 Graduate Research Conference. Those applying for research funding and graduating in May 2017 must present at the 2017 Graduate Research Conference.
1st Application Period for Spring 2017: December 15, 2016 to January 15, 2017.
Students selected to receive Research Funding for the first round of applications will be notified February 1st, 2017.
2nd Application Period for Spring 2017: February 15, 2017 to March 15, 2017.
Students selected to receive Research Funding for the second round of applications will be notified March 20th, 2017.
- The grant is up to $500 for academic year 2016-2017 and will be transferred to the student's department.
- No reimbursements will be considered.
- No single student can receive GSC Research Funding more than once per academic year, and priority in subsequent years will be given to first-time applicants. If you have already received a Research Fund award, you must complete this formto be considered again.
- The student is responsible for assuring compliance with regulations regarding human and animal research and all other university research guidelines.
- The GSC Research grant is not intended for conference travel. For more information see GSC Travel Funding.
- Grant monies awarded will be transferred to the student's respective department to be disbursed according to University Policy.
- Equipment and tangible items purchased will become property of the student's department upon their graduation or termination.
- Recipients of the Research Grant will be asked to sign a statement acknowledging these Disclaimers.